Shimano Sora ST-3300/3303 Shifters

• 3303 - Triple Ring

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by onespeedbiker a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2010

Strengths:    They work and last forever

Weaknesses:    The most often stated weakness is poor shifting from the drops. Well this is clearly a sales issue. By definition, Sora shifters are not designed to be shifted from the drops. Shimano developed Sora shifters for recreational riders that rarely utilize drops, but the trade off is they are inexpensive and last forever. If you want to shift from your drops, buy Tiagra; but you'll pay more and they won't last nearly as long.

Bottom Line:
    I have worked on bikes for years and am still amazed how well Sora Shifters work. I have replaced a lot of Ultegra and Tiagra shifters, but no Soras.

Similar Products Used:   Durace, Ultegra, 105, Tiagra and Sora.

Submitted by Jim D a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Strengths:    Inexpensive, clean and precise shifts.

Weaknesses:    Sora nameplate. Other than that, I'm pleased w/ the performance.

Bottom Line:
    I wanted to do a budget build on a sweet old frameset that I have. I know that 'Rosebud' deserves a better nameplate than Sora, but I'm a little short right now. Actually Rosebud & I are really happy with the performance of these dbl. shifters. I ride w/my hands 99% on the hoods, so the the shift levers are real accessible. If you ride in the drops you may have trouble getting your thumbs on the inside shift levers.

Favorite Ride:   backroads

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra on my other 2 bikes

Bike Setup:   An old Specialized carbon fiber Epic from the Jurassic period. It's built up w/ a bunch of components dredged out of the dark recesses of my garage.

Submitted by Competitive Club Rider a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2006

Strengths:    As indicated above. No problems whatsoever. I ride the drops, and have no problems with the thumb shifting.

Bottom Line:
    Converted an old steel Peugeot with downtube shifters to a seven speed with Sora shifters. They shift great; reliable, durable, precise and inexpensive. They look nice. What more can you ask for?

Favorite Ride:   Hilly & scenic

Purchased At:   On Line

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra shifters, which perform no better.

Submitted by Ronsonic a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2005

Strengths:    Reliable and inexpensive. These let you put STI on old bikes without spending much money. Ignore the reviews that use the word "sucks" both in general and especially in this case. These aren't fancy but they work.

Weaknesses:    The thumb levers are a bit hard to get at from the drops, I've got large hands and it's a reach for me. The body is a bit smallish for large hands. I would spend more and convert to Campy Mirage if I were to do it over.

Bottom Line:
    Decent, inexpensive shifter for the thrifty (cheap) upgrader or the entry level road rider. I bought these to update an old steel frame bike that had 7 speed downtube shifters. They've worked perfectly for about 1,000 miles, some of it pretty rough.

Favorite Ride:   Anyplace without traffic

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105, Campy Mirage.

Bike Setup:   Old steel frame with cinelli lugs, Campy dropouts - Shimano 105 with Ultegra hubs and Mavic Open wheels.

Submitted by vansiclenr a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2005

Strengths:    Looks nice, and seems to shift well.

Weaknesses:    I don't have chimpanzee thumbs. These are for people who only ride the hoods, never ride the drops, e.g. people who really want a hybrid, but don't want to look wimpy.

Bottom Line:
    This is a note of thanks to the reviewers of this product. Shimano's photos and specs do not make it obviousl that the Sora shifters have a thumb shifter for the large-to-small gear shifts. I was about to buy Soras to replace my no longer functioning Ultegra 8 speed shifters, but I don't have chimpanzee thumbs, so I found used gear on eBay.

Favorite Ride:   Sora st-3300