Shimano Tiagra ST-4400 Shifters

• Double/Triple Ring Compatible

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by CameronRacing a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    mechs, chain, cassette all work OK

Weaknesses:    leavers just don't work as well as they should

Bottom Line:
    The leavers dont change gear when I press them I think there worn out already. mechs seem fine so far

Favorite Ride:   hilly

Purchased At:   it was spare off a b

Similar Products Used:   105 (5500 and 5600) ultegra (6600) dura ace 7800

Bike Setup:   trek 1400

Submitted by steelbike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2007

Strengths:    Shifted smoothly and positively when they were working. Was not expensive to replace used.

Weaknesses:    Right shifter died. Not that comfortable with a large grip above the lever. Expensive to replace new. Scratches easily.

Bottom Line:
    The shifting is fine with these when they work. My right shifter gave up the ghost and there is no way to fix these. I ended up buying a used right shifter on Ebay to replace it. The lever was never crashed or ridden in bad weather. It just quit working.

Similar Products Used:   Campy Centaur on my Masi

Bike Setup:   Tiagra shifters with 105 derailleurs.
    Soma Smoothie

Submitted by hwttdz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2003

Strengths:    Low cost, perfectly effective for recreational riding. Integrated shifting though that's almost everything now.

Weaknesses:    Under heavy use costs more than the higher groups.

Bottom Line:
    Price is for the full bike which was a steal.

When I first purchased this bike I was not riding too much. They worked fine for quite a while. The shifting is not very fast compared to ultegra and the front deraileur seems to be a little flakey, though I'm yet to see if that remains a problem with ultegra. I've had my chain dropped off the crank about once every 80 miles or so, though since the last time I adjusted it it seems to be behaving. I have been riding almost 20 miles a day for the last few months now which is far more than I had been before. The shifters failed on me, they were unrepairable. This is a function of the durability of the parts, lower end parts are expected to recieve less wear and hence are not as durable. For recreational and occasional riding these parts save money and work just as well. For serious training these shifters end up costing more money that 105 or ultegra because they will need to be replaced much sooner. They lasted me a little under two years.

I give them a three for a everyday rider logging demanding miles, and a five for a recreational rider.

Favorite Ride:   Yet to find one in Houston

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Now on to ultegra, seems to work great after a week.

Bike Setup:   Pre shifter failure: Performance r-102, full tiagra drivetrain, stock parts
    Currently: Ultegra shifters, nashbar ergo handlebars

Submitted by marimba_artist a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2003

Strengths:    Price, I guess. In function, they work the same as D/A.

Weaknesses:    The plastic casing is cheap and not durable. That is the biggest downfall.

Bottom Line:
    I've used these shifters for over 2.5K miles and have noticed they've gotten worse over time. I think I do right a little hard, but I haven't been pleased lately. In fact, I've been meaning to take them into the shop for ANOTHER look at them.

Similar Products Used:   105, Record

Bike Setup:   Jamis Ventura 2001

Submitted by niteschaos a Road Racer from atl

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Strengths:    STI, quick upshifts, rapid fire downshifts.

Weaknesses:    Scared the crap out of me. Now afraid to get out of the saddle during climbs or sprints until I upgrade.

Bottom Line:
    I could tell from the test ride that these were not as smooth or crisp as the 105's on the other bikes I tested, bikes that were out of my price range. They did fine for the first 100 miles though, then began to get a little sluggish. After only two weeks of ownership I was going to ride from my house to the bikeshop 9 miles away. Going up a hill about one mile into the ride the front shifted inadverdantly while I was standing on the pedals going up a short steep hill. I know I wasn't shifting at the time, and I wasn't cross geared, but the front shifted on me anyways. The shift was so violent that it skipped all the way from my middle chainring to the frame and sent me flying shoulder first into my first crash. At least the Expedition driver behind me was paying attension. I crashed so fast that my hoods didn't get scratched cause my hands were still on them as I skidded down the road.

Other than that they shifted as well as anything out there, just not as smooth or quick. The right side has been flawless, my only grudge is with my left shifter. I guess the whole thing was kind of a fluke though so I'm not going to mark it down too badly.

Favorite Ride:   Paris Mountain

Purchased At:   Mike' Bikes

Similar Products Used:   105, downtube.

Bike Setup:   Felt F75 with full Tiagra group and 105 RD. Bone stock at 21.5 pounds in a 58cm.