Shimano Ultegra SL ST-6600-G Shifters

• Shift Cable: Casing SIS-SP41
  • Super SLR

Submitted by brian a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth shifting, accurate, light weight, durable

Weaknesses:    Would like to see less plastic

Bottom Line:
Ultegra Shifters ST-6600 made by Shimano.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra shifters, 105 front and rear derailleurs

Submitted by Dylan McNerney a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth, crisp shifting. No maintenance required (and once they break, none necessary). Easy to up-shift out of the saddle (for sprinting).

Weaknesses:    Durability, cannot be repaired.

Bottom Line:
I was absolutely thrilled when I first started using these shifters - the shifting was quick and crisp. I don't feel performance ever declined until about a week ago, when the shift lever and paddle simply stopped working. I read hundreds of posts on the internet to figure out what could be wrong. Finally I took it into the LBS and the mechanic said there were internal parts that had broken (springs) and seized up the mechanism. I have racked up about 13,000 miles in the last 2.5 years between commuting and recreational riding. While I would have liked for it to last longer, I don't really feel cheated. I ordered some Campy Veloce levers to replace them, because I want to be able to repair levers when parts wear out. In the mean time I stole the ultegra shifter from my wife's bike to ride in a race. Now that I have ridden the shifter for a week, it has become apparent that something is wrong with the ratchet mechanism - when trying to upshift the paddle moves, but it won't release cable. I flushed it with most of a can of WD-40 and then lubed as everyone suggested, with no improvement. I would guess that Dura-ace has bearings in places where Ultegra has bushings and is therefore more durable, but I don't think I'll be taking that chance - I will now be switching to Campy when parts wear out.

Bike Setup:   Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen - full Ultegra with the exception of Sugino XD2 compact double crank. Crank Bros. pedals. Brooks saddle.