Shimano Ultegra ST-6700 Shifters

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Shimano Ultegra ST-6700 Double STI Dual Control Shift/Brake Lever Set. The new lever shape and ergonomics are a prominent feature of the new Ultegra 6700 Dual Control shift levers. Angled outward, the levers give the rider a head start on the arc of the s

Submitted by Joseph Brody a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2014

Strengths:    Good brake lever ergonomics and hood shape.

Weaknesses:    High shifting force, hard to install and maintain and no lighter or better than much older SL ST-6600 despite the carbon levers.

Bottom Line:
After a crash that broke my older generation Ultegra lever, I thought I would try the new carbon lever ST-6700. I was surprised to find that the ST-6700 were no lighter that my older levers. I also found out that it was harder to install on the bars and installing and maintaining the brake and shifter cables are harder too.

Threading the brake cable requires removing a screw and a cover. The shifter cable is installed under the shifter, its hard to see and if you have not done it before, its not intuitive which hole it goes in. There are multiple holes. This is all true even if you read the instructions. On top of all that, it is harder to reach the mounting bolt that tightens the shifter to the bar.

The cable is routed in tight bends inside the shifter so that both the brake and shifter cable housing can be routed under the handle bar tape. This makes for more friction and harder shifting with brand new cable and housing. I am a bike mechanic and I made sure to install the housing perfectly.

The good news is that the brake levers have really good ergonomics and feel good in your hands. The place that you rest you hands on the hoods are really nice too.

In the end, I really wish I replaced my levers with the much older SL ST-6600 that I had before they were damaged in a crash.

I hear that the newest ST-6700 11-Speed fixed the problems with the ST-6600.

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra SL ST-6600

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone

Submitted by Arin Movsess a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Strengths:    Full Compatibility
Crisp and quick shifting
Solid breaking
Nice looks

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
If you are looking to Upgrade your shifters Ultegra 6700 is the way to go. Trickle down technology has vastly improved the Ultegra shifters. It is much lighter then the 6600, the new pivot location gives you a more crisp and quick shifting and the braking power is solid. Before I purchased the shifters, Shimano Reps informed me that the competability with past models will be poor at best, especially the breaks. After further research and a tripe to the LBS, It turns out the the new 6700 shifters are absolutely compatible with other components ( and later model ultegras) and there is no performance loss at all. With almost a year of riding I cannot be any more happier with my upgrade, full compatibility with its predecessors, crisp shifting, light weight, and nice looks, can't go wrong.

Favorite Ride:   Studie Run