Home | Reviews | Stems | 3T

3T Forgie Road Stem Stems

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by pomole a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, strong, nice finish.

Weaknesses:    slightly heavy compared to fancy racing stems.

Bottom Line:
Its hard to review a stem that works well since they are somewhat unremarkable and dont do much to improve one's riding performance. What I can say is that the 3T Forgie XL stem (31.8 model) is rather stiff and sturdy for the recreational rider. The Forgie is hardly the stem for those watching the weight of their bikes but clearly this weight is clearly due to the stem's beefy construction. I weigh 162 and have it on my fixie and have not experienced any flex at all while mashing up a hill or sprinting.
The unit is rather nice looking, with some low-key reversable screened brand type on the stem body, while the black paint is smoothe and well applied. Overall the fit and finish looks well done for an component of this price.
One thing i found peculiar about the Forgie is the single bolt clamping on the frame side. At first I had some concerns about the strenght of this mechanical attachement, but the bolt is somewhat large and withstands plenty of torque to crank down on the steerer tube. The faceplate is a reversable and has a 2 bolt closure.

Similar Products Used:   various itm, cannondale and deda stems.

Bike Setup:   bianchi pista. itm mantis bars.

Submitted by innergel a Road Racer from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff and looks good. It's a stem. It works like it should.

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey from the LBS, but I had a gift cert, so it didn't cost me any cash. Probably on the heavy side, so not for the weight weenies, but it's non-rotational weight, so 20 extra grams or so is no big deal for me.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Forgie XL. It is stiff and looks good. I weigh 220+lbs and put a lot of stress on my equipment. I have never noticed any flex in any riding situation. It works well with the Forgie XL bar.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere with a tailwind, no cars and fresh asphalt

Similar Products Used:   Icon Graphite that came on the bike

Bike Setup:   Trek 2300 - Rolf Vector Pros - Speedplay X3 - Selle Italia Flite Gel - 3T Forgie XL bars and stem

Submitted by amlpeterson a Road Racer from Rockford

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Strengths:    Good looks, and solid

Weaknesses:    Seems to be a little heavy
To much money if you pay $60. get the mutant instead.

Bottom Line:
It's a good solid stem. I wieght 175 and am reasonable strong and notice no flex in out of the saddle sprints. Not sure what it weights but seems heavier than my Ritchey Pro bar. And I love the look, but I also think all 3t stems look good.

Favorite Ride:   Long streches of road

Purchased At:   online retailer

Similar Products Used:   Titic, easton, and ritchey stems

Bike Setup:   Scattante Zonal with full ultegra, easton fork, Ritchey bar, Rolf wheels, look pedals, mike burrows seatpost.

Submitted by bug753 a Road Racer from The Dalles

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Strengths:    It works, I mean its a stem, one of the simplest parts on a bike, it either works or your screwed. I guess it could be too flexy, I stay away from ti.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
This is a good basic stem. It is reasonably light, reasonably stiff, and reasonably priced.

Favorite Ride:   215

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   ITM, Profile (this one didn't work, luckly I was leaving a from a stop sign when it failed.), Kore

Bike Setup:   Colnago