Cinelli Solido Stems

3.22/5 (9 Reviews)

• Store Price

• Sizes: 100 - 105 - 110 - 115 - 120 - 125 - 130 - 140
  • Clamp diameter: 26.0
  • Fork clamp diameter: 28,6 mm (1 1/8") - with reduction sleeve to 25,4 (1")
  • Angle: 80°/100°
  • Weight: 125 gr. /110

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by gemclco

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2013

Strengths:    No comment.

Weaknesses:    Two bolt stem clamp with titanium bolts.

Bottom Line:
    I have read several post by riders who had Cinelli Solido stems where one of the Titanium bolts in the two bolt stem clamp failed (sheared off). I am interested in talking to anyone who has experienced this. I am a lawyer. I have a client this happened to. he was riding on a paved street, on his way to work. When the bolt broke he lost control, crashed, broke his neck and died. My name is George McLaughlin. Denver, Colorado. Direct dial to my office is: 720 542-7885 My work email address is gmclaughlin@tractorlaw.com

Submitted by Bumblebee Man a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2007

Strengths:    Looks, angle, price

Weaknesses:    may or may not creak at the cap :-)

Bottom Line:
    Bummer! I just bought a second one of these, and now, having read these reviews, I suspect my other one does creak!!

After my 2nd purchase, I Googled the stem just to see if I got a bargain, and these reviews came up. I guess my other Solido does creak, but it didn’t dawn on me that it was the stem; I assumed it’s just that I didn’t have enough grease where the stem attaches to the heavily-lacquered steerer. It’s not really a ‘creak’, it’s more of a ‘click’, and it’s intermittent. Ah well, it’s not that bad, and my new one does NOT creak. The comment below about uneven wear under the cap is very interesting, and something I didn’t know -- I’ll check mine some day soon.

I have no slipping problems.

Apart from that, these stems are fine; they look fantastic, they are on a steep enough angle (most stuff around here is 6 degrees), not too expensive, and they seem to me to be as stiff as my other stems (mostly Easton EA50s and ITMs), but I’m not a sprinter, so I don’t really mash the bars.

Favorite Ride:   Beach Rd, Melbourne

Purchased At:   Auslandia

Similar Products Used:   Eastons, ITM

Bike Setup:   Soloist, Superprodigy, Scapin S2, and "No-Name alu", all with 9sp Dura-Ace

Submitted by gear1152 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
    I never had any problem with creak or slipping (I have been using the Solido/Solida Stem/Bar combo. Performed fine for a long time, but last week one of the Ti bolts sheared off after hitting a pothole in a race on a downhill. I managed to slow the bike significantly before the second bolt broke. I've been careful with the torque, and after reading some of the other reviews, I would highly recommend ditching your Ti bolts for steel ones if you are currently riding this stem. Overall, this stem survived many years of poorly paved urban roads, but it only takes that last pothole to cause it to fail, so be careful.

Submitted by sevenrd a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight. No problems after about 2 years of use.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    No problems with this stem so far. Maybe I lucked out and got a better-machined version of this stem than previous reviewers. Bars don't rotate. Don't notice any flex from the stem. From my experience it's been a reliable, light component that does it's job without me noticing...which is a good thing. If I noticed the stem I suppose it would be due to a problem. No complaints here.

Favorite Ride:   Around Pasadena

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Ti quill. Ritchey WCS.

Bike Setup:   Seven Odonata frame. Lotsa other stuff

Submitted by Ronald a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2004

Strengths:    Looks, flip-able, comes with 1 inch adapter.

Weaknesses:    -Two bolt system, when one snaps you're lucky not to crash. If you need a stem get a four bolt design!
    -Titanium bolts for end cap, these snap too easily.
    -Slippery inside of the stem, they should roughen it up a bit.
    -Price, it's too much, comparable stems could be had for 50%.

Bottom Line:
    After using this stem for some time i'll never buy a two bolt stem again. First problem was the handlebars slipping in the stem. I tried to tighten the bolts but this didn't help much. I cured the problem by using some sandpaper on the inside on the stem. After that the stem performed fine until one of the titanium bolts snapped. Luckely i managed to stop without crashing. Replaced the titanium top bolts by some steel ones, after that it worked ok.

Favorite Ride:   Drafting a nice girl.

Purchased At:   Hopmans (Netherlands

Similar Products Used:   Look Ergostem, BBB Litestem, older Cinelli quill stems.

Bike Setup:   Specialized M4 Road with Campagnolo Record, Mavic CXP rims, Look pedals, Cinelli B-Groove bars, Look Ergostem.