Home | Reviews | Stems | DEDA

DEDA Newton Stems

• Store Price

Deda Elementi Newton 31 Road Stem: 1-piece, CNC machined 2024-T3 aluminum main body construction. 6/4-titanium hardware with removable, 4-bolt aluminum faceplate. Flip-flop design for 82-degree or 98-degree use...

Submitted by jefseven a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2012

Strengths:    strong, light

Weaknesses:    expensive

Bottom Line:
I've read a lot of reviews about these stems and I wish I could find the mounting instructions. Unless the instructions SPECIFICALLY tell you to lube the threads this should NEVER BE DONE! Lubing will throw off the torque, especially in the case of a delicate part like this. If I recall correctly, and I may not, since I've used ITM's and Cinelli's as well, they call for the use of spacers, although I know the torque spec. is used here.

Having said that, I always put these on following manufactures's spec's (in this case, printed on the stem itself) and have never had a problem with any stem, ever! I've had fatigue fractures after a couple of years use, and these need to be discarded, but that's to be expected after all the flexing and torsion these go through.

These are one of my favorites so far. Even though they're somewhat expensive, they're light and strong and have outlasted almost everything else, except a Cinelli, which are even more expensive. I also use the Newton bars and I like keeping the two in tandem.

Favorite Ride:   Nockamixon area, PA

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Similar Products Used:   Cinelli, ITM

Bike Setup:   Seven Odonata, Campy Chorus 10, Ksyrium SL's, Flite Gel-flo saddle, Conti GP 4000's

Submitted by maurice saunders a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2009

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    easily cracked

Bottom Line:
Very light alloy stem, but recently developed a crack in the steering tube
clamp. Deda said it's from overtightening
but I use a small hex and am very carefull
so as not to crack the carbon steering tube.
Not covered by warrenty. I think these super
light alloy stems are too delecate. I am
a light rider too, so little stress.

Purchased At:   ebay

Bike Setup:   carbon road racer with ultegra/neuvation

Submitted by Jeffrey a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    ? I wouldn't know. The product failed.

Weaknesses:    I honestly beleive this to be a case of the torque specs being too high. If I had used my better judgement I would have simply used the same torque specs as most other stems I have used. But what I just followed the manufacturers reccomendation.

Bottom Line:
I went about installing the stem. I greased the bolt threads and tightened bolts using a torque wrench in an X pattern. Never got a chance to ride with the stem though as the bolts cored out the threads of the stem.

Favorite Ride:   around Crystal Lake in Frankfort, MI

Purchased At:   The Bike Gang (lbs)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, easton, ritchey, bontrager

Bike Setup:   Riding a storck absolutist 0.9. Well now I'm using an old specialized stem from a tarmac I have. Think I'll get a 3T stem. Good product, and not overpriced like so much crap that's being marketed as high tech. A stem is a stem. It just needs to be relatively stiff and strong.

Submitted by acid_rider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2008

Strengths:    4 degree angle is less steep then usual 6 or 8 degree so you need fewer spacers flipped down and if flipped up it looks better in +4 position compared to +6 or +8 stems.

Weaknesses:    price is very high for a small aluminium part. alloy is not rocket science! hence average 3/5 value rating.

Bottom Line:
this is review for Newton 31-86 stem, i.e. 4 degrees not the Newton 8 degree. i have 3 of these: 100mm, 110mm and 120mm for different bikes. great stem, excellent angles, compatible with non-Deda 31.8mm O/S bars. i dont know why others dont make +-4 degree stems, they are perfect for less flexible riders who may find 6 and 8 degree stems too steep.

Favorite Ride:   no cars

Purchased At:   bikepro melbourne

Similar Products Used:   BBB, Bontrager, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Time Edge, Trek Madone 5.9 and Specialized Roubaix Comp, but not relevant for this review

Submitted by ladams a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2005

Strengths:    Light. Been reliable for me.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found.

Bottom Line:
I have used the Newton Stems since they have come out and never bothered to read the reviews until today and was surprised. I am 6'1" and 200+ sprinter/TT sorta racer. I have never experienced the problems mentioned and have four of the stems in various lengths and ages that get swapped around a bit.

I do grease the threads when first out of the box and am careful with getting the bolt tension even, although I use feeler gauges to set even spacing as my torque wrenchs are for bigger stuff.

Favorite Ride:   All and except cold rain

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Transit

Similar Products Used:   Think of a high quality stem over the last 35 years and I have used it.

Bike Setup:   Very nice.

Deda Newton Stem & Bar: WW or not?

Looking to build a weightweenish build (starting with a 1200 g frame and fork fort a large....which I think is weightweenish). I have a Deda Newton shallow bar + a Deda Newton stem (CNC machined) with Ti bolts. Not the latest technology but are they pretty good weight wise? Or should I look for bett ... Read More »

LBS near allston/newton area (Boston, MA)

I work in Allston and live in Newton, any suggestions for good LBS - looking to get my first bike! ThanksRead More »

Newton "flips out" over being "Pub'd by Willard.

Newton doesn't like it when "Republican" tactics are used on him. CONCORD, N.H. -- They poked the bear one too many times. After a long effort to stay on message and stick to discussing his ideas for the future, Newt Gingrich on Wednesday morning unloaded on Mitt Romney and Ron Paul in front ... Read More »

Newton Leroy "Newt" Gingrich WILL be President!!!

I know some are saying "What the hell is he talking about?" The Republicans instituted a little known and used program long ago to foster the growth of the dwindling Republican party. The idea came from the well known exchange student program. Now that there is a vacant seat in North Korea, Newt i ... Read More »

Should the FBI reopen the investigation of Newton???

Is this man fit to be President???? . . FBI considered sting aimed at Gingrich It is a curious case in the annals of the FBI: The bureau considered a sting operation against then-House Speaker Newt Gingrich after sifting through allegations from a notorious arms dealer that a $10 million bribe m ... Read More »