Home | Reviews | Stems | Easton

Easton EA 70 Road Stem Stems

3.14/5 (7 Reviews)

Forged Aluminum road stem. (1"1/8 w/ 1" shim) Two bolt composite face place w/ replaceable hardware. Reversible 6 degree rise. Weight:135g

Submitted by iebobo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2009

Strengths:    Nice Appearance.

Weaknesses:    Slips when used with EA70 bars
Losing the nuts on the faceplate.

Bottom Line:
I bought this stem to match my bars. It looks nice, although you always seem to drop one of the funky nuts on the back of it when you install or remove your bars (easton claims this is in case you strip them, but if you use a torque wrench, this shouldn't be a problem). It also isn't near the weight claimed. It seemed to work well, I had to creaking like others, it seemed to work find, but then going down a hill at about 35 mph, I heard a ping and my bars rotated. Not much, but just enough to give me a good scare. Like others, I am going to switch to a different stem.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Rob T a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    If you can find a bar that works well there are lots of good points about this stem. See the positive reviews for them.

Weaknesses:    If you use the wrong bar then this stem is worse than useless.

Please note, my review is based on using this stem with the EA70 bars and the marks are only applicable in this situation.

Bottom Line:
I've been trying to work out all of the reviews I've read for this stem. Lots of people say that it's great, others say it's dreadful. After some investigation, the problem with this stem is mixing it with the EA 70 bars. Don't do this and you'll probably like it. Mix the EA70 bars and stem and you will experience some of the following:
- slipping bars
- creaking a'plenty
- SERIOUS flex. People find the amount of movement I get in my bars laugh out loud funny!

This stem and bar combo had effectively ruined my ability to sprint on the bike in question. The bike that this stem was on got knicked and I am going out of my way to get a non-easton bar/stem combo on the new bike.

Bike Setup:   Omega helix bike, Look HSC 3 fork, ultegra groupo and strong 32 spoke training wheels.

Submitted by msc a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2004

Strengths:    Relatively light, attractive.

Weaknesses:    The handlebars (26.0)slip even when installed at correct torque.

Bottom Line:
If you like to have your handlebars slip downward every time you hit a hard bump, then this is the stem for you! I've had to stop and retighten this thing every ride. I installed it with a torque wrench at the upper limit of their recommendation (70 in/lbs) and rechecked it more than once. When I bought Easton's EC90 Equipe bars, I had a Ritchey WCS stem already to use, but on the bars, and NOWHERE ELSE (i.e. in none of their advertisements or technical info)it says you have to use a two bolt system, so I reluctantly bought this stem. I'm going back to the Ritchey stem, and take my chances. Damn the warranty.

Favorite Ride:   Casitas Pass

Purchased At:   BicycleBuys

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey WCS, ITM The Stem, ITM Millenium, 3T Forgie

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roubaix Pro frame, Campy Record components, Rolf Prima Elan Wheels.

Submitted by h-man a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2004

Strengths:    strong, stiff, good for carbon, cool logo IMO

Weaknesses:    can't think of any.

Bottom Line:
excellent stem. plenty stiff, especially in combination with carbon bars, which its great for. the wide front clamp is designed not to crush or crack them. i have not had a problem with the bars slipping in the clamp (kestrel ems), and no squeaking or ticking. i weigh 200 and put lots of pressure on the bars.

Favorite Ride:   smooth blacktop to the horizon