Home | Reviews | Stems | Easton

Easton EA90 Stems

The Easton EA90 is Easton’s lightest stem and the choice of World Champion Cadel Evans and his Professional Tour BMC team as well as top cross country riders. The Easton EA90 is made from advanced aluminum tubing and 3D forging pro...

Submitted by Frederick a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Strengths:    Looks great, stiff, -10 degree rise was needed and therefore a strength

Weaknesses:    Maybe not the lightest....but hey, it's not a rotating part so no big deal.

Bottom Line:
After reading the previous review, I figured I should provide commentary. I too have this stem mated with an FSA Carbon bar. I used a little carbon grease as is recommended with carbon posts (FSA grease in fact) and haven't so much as had the slightest movement of the bars. I am a 200+ lb sprinter (former college and semi-pro football player) with an upper body that still gets me made fun of by my racing teammates. I'm not sure if carbon grease is the trick but this stem has performed perfectly for me.

Purchased At:   ebay

Submitted by quasi888 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2010

Strengths:    Looks great, especially in white. Not the lightest (133g for 100mm/31.8) but certainly not bad. Available in a couple different rise configurations.

Weaknesses:    Um, it didn't do its job for me.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a new stem for my new road build and was immediately drawn to the clean lines of the 2010 Easton EA90 in white. Sadly, despite following the directions for its top clamp design, and torquing it to my carbon bar's (FSA K-Wing) torque specs, the bars would rotate within the clamps, especially if I was sprinting out of the saddle. (In fact, I nearly crashed because of this.) Apparently a few other carbon bar owners have had similar experiences with this stem. Not sure if it's bad clamp design, not enough clamping surface in the machined top plate, or just poor manufacturing tolerances for this particular unit, but it's just not up to the task of handling a big 200-lb sprinter like me. It's going back to the shop, and the venerable Thomson X2 is on the way. It might work for you, but personally, I wouldn't take the chance.

Purchased At:   Tam Bikes