Ritchey Pro Stems

3.79/5 (14 Reviews)

Ritchey Pro Road Stem 100mm. With it's unique texured inner claming surface this stem is a perfect pair with a carbon handlebar.

Submitted by Trouble a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Everything about Ritchey components is weak and their customer service is the worst in this industry

Bottom Line:
Bought this for my second bike to experiment with setup so that I had another spare stem.
Bolts stripped out, wouldn't hold position and it finally cracked. Pretty much useless like a lot of the Ritchey products I've since stopped using.

Favorite Ride:   Eastside

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager is all I own now, the best customer service
Thompson stuff is the best and Ritchey knows it.

Bike Setup:   Steel

Submitted by matthew a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    cheap

Weaknesses:    lack of stifness

Bottom Line:
13cm length. I find this stem to be too flexable for hard climbing/sprinting but it absorbs road iregularities well

Favorite Ride:   hills

Purchased At:   wiggle

Similar Products Used:   itm(varius models)

Submitted by jjohnlee a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2005

Strengths:    Great Value!

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Very nice stem for the money. Stiff enough for me and I am not exactly small (6'03 at 185lbs). I bought the MTB version for my Kona and I love that one too!

Favorite Ride:   any ride is a good ride

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Bike Setup:   Fuji Team with full Ultegra

Submitted by stackhouse a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap, light and stiff.

Weaknesses:    Bolts strip out easily.

Bottom Line:
After talking with another friend who had a bolt strip out while installing a new ritchey pro stem, I thought I should pass along my recent experience. Although, I was careful threading in the bolts, one of the four face bolts used to install the bar stripped out of my stem as well. I then installed a longer bolt and was able to put a lock nut on the back side of the stem for security. Amazingly though when I pushed down hard on the bar to test the set up, a different bolt popped its threads, and the bar came loose. Scary.

I'm not well sure how Ritchey warrantees their products, but I don't think I'll find out because I wouldn't trust a replacement after this experience.

After failing with this and the flexy WCS stem, I guess I'll have to venture out of the value market to look at $100+ stems for something that's light, stiff, and secure, if not cheap.

Bike Setup:   Ridley Icarus w/ DA 10

Submitted by Wojo a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2004

Strengths:    Light, strong, relatively inexpensive.

Bottom Line:
What can I say? If you think that a stem should be a reliable and light piece of metal that consistantly connects the handlebars to the bike and NOT made of some obscure element that costs as much as a mortgage payment, the Ritchey Pro is for you. Not much more to say. I like this stem. I have never had any problems with slippage or flex. I like the redundancy of 4 plate bolts instead of 2, and the finish is pretty. The opposing stem bolts and offset angle of both the clamp and spacer shim indicate well thought out engineering.

Purchased At:   Nashbar