Ritchey WCS Axis Stems

• 2014 Material
  • 1 1/8" Steerer

Submitted by ingobrun a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2008

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    way too flexy and wouldn't bind on my carbon steerer. seems just to be two aluminum tubes tacked together.

Bottom Line:
Flimsy and wouldn't fit well on my carbon steerer. At prescribed torque I got a creak from the stem from lack of tightness in bottom binder bolt. Even going slighlty over recommended torque wouldn't stop it. Only way to find this out was to put stem on bike and Rithey won't take it back now. Stem is VERY flexible. When it was on bike I could get way too much flex if I pushed on bars. I bought it because I wanted a -17 deg. stem, and have just bought a Thomson Elite x2 to replaces this POS.

Favorite Ride:   9W

Purchased At:   direct from Ritchey

Bike Setup:   2008 Trek Madone 6.5, after market upgraded to full DA (cranks, cassette, etc.) with Mavic CX33 32H Dura Ace wheels. I'm biggish, 6'1" 180, so strength and stiffness matter more to me than weight.

Submitted by ejprez a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2008

Strengths:    Weight, price and looks.

Weaknesses:    Not Free

Bottom Line:
What a great stem for the money, I cannot believe how light it is. My 120mm x 6 degree weighs 127 grams. I had a FSA K-force carbon stem that weighed 197 grams that was over double the price. The stem is nice looking, nice looking face plate, and feels solid to me.

Favorite Ride:   Countrysidecycling.com Wednesday Night Ride

Purchased At:   Countrysidecycling.c

Similar Products Used:   Deda Magic, Deda Newto, FSA OS-150, FSA K-Force Carbon.

Bike Setup:   Fuji SL-1 with Sram red, Ksyriums Elites and Zipp 404s, RITCHEY 4-AXIS stem, FSA K force carbon bar, Fizik Arione, yada, yada, yada.

Submitted by andwils a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2007

Strengths:    light weight, high strength/stiffness, looks great.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
Excellent stem. Light, stiff and does its job perfectly. Why buy a carbon stem when you can spend 1/2 the money and get this super light stem. I used to use a Specialized S-works carbon stem and this weights about 60g less and works every bit as well, if not better.

Purchased At:   ebay