Campagnolo Daytona (AC-H) Bottom Brackets

• Available in Double or Triple Ring Crankset Compatible Model

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by BIGBOB a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap at $20, only suitable for lighter riders.

Weaknesses:    Only a 2 bearing design. Cannot use the better designed Chorus or Record B.B. because of differing widths between the ACH design that is used on everything under the Chorus level group.

Bottom Line:
    O.K., I'm not the avg. cyclist at 240 lbs. but I did expect this thing to hold up better than it did. After 1500 miles of riding it developed a slight tick that was easy to ignore. No problem. But after starting to work on my climbing this year, to become a better climber, I have just destroyed this B.B. It seems that the lh cup is considerably larger than the outer race dia. That accounts for the tick I heard. But in just 3 sessions of climbing drills, the bearings are shot on the lh side. Creaks terribly. And why try to warrenty a $20 item that will probably just do the same thing? The only alternative, because of the 111mm width, is a Phil Wood B.B. and that will set you back $125. I hope the Phil Wood I've ordered is as good as I've read.

Bike Setup:   KHS Flite 2000 (Team model) with Campy Daytona and Open Pro's.

Submitted by stevesklar a Road Racer from Detroit

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2002

Strengths:    Great price. Smooooth. Smoother than my Dura-Ace and Campy Record bikes.

Weaknesses:    Weird & special installation tool.

Bottom Line:
    Very nice and smooth. I think its feels smoother than my Record Carbon BB, but i think it only has 2 sets of bearings versus 3.
    Didn't like the special installation tool but I think someone told me the BB was made by a French company (thus the special tool).
    No problems since installation.
    I use it on my Daytona Triple "hill" bike.

Purchased At:   Continental Bike Sho

Similar Products Used:   Dura-Ace, Campy Carbon Record

Bike Setup:   Daytona 9spd Triple (Racing-T)

Submitted by Dave Mann a Commuter from Alexandria, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2000

Strengths:    Cartridge bearings, price

Weaknesses:    need special tool for installation. Can get creaky.

Bottom Line:
    Switching from the Athena BB I was not happy too find I needed a new BB installation tool. Happily it cost only 6 bucks. You can find this BB for about 20 bucks mailorder from Excel, Branford and probably many others. Installation is easy with the tool. Can;t adjust the chainline as with the old Athena. Bearing are very smooth, weight is reasonable. I've had some creaking, and find I need to retighten every couple months. Otherwise, very good value.

Favorite Ride:   White Mountains, NH