Campagnolo Record (AC-H) Bottom Brackets

• Available in Double or Triple Ring Crankset Compatible Model

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by ladams a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Strengths:    Easy installation. When new works well.

Weaknesses:    Bearings last less than 2000 miles

Bottom Line:
    Looks nice. Poor bearing durability.

Favorite Ride:   Tour d' Lac

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Transit

Similar Products Used:   Campy Chrous, Phil Wood, Old Nuevo Record, Dura-Ace, Stronglight

Bike Setup:   Nice

Submitted by jjp a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2008

Strengths:    Light. Its Campy. It installs easy.

Weaknesses:    Seems to fail prematurely. Not consistent in its performance.

Bottom Line:
    I first purchased this product when I bought my bike in August of 2005. At the time, I was use to the legendary performance of Campy's Super and Nuovo Record bottom brackets, which basically were a component that you could count on having for pretty well ever, or at least until you died, and then you could have bequeathed them to a relative, who would also have them for ever, and so, and so on. The model that is avaialble for pre 2007 UT cranks installs easily enough. The two alluminum cups screw into the bb housing without issue, and can be easily removed. The BB itself is pretty well sealed, and most people would not attempt to take them apart for any kind of service, which, as it would turn out, is unfortunate. I'm not exactly sure how many kilometers I had on mine before it crapped out (I'm not dead, yet), but it was really a disappointment. I would say that it was somewhere in the area of 10-12,000 kms that I started to hear a little click or tick. It was driving me mad, that annoying little sound that I couldn't locate, until that is I asked the owner of a local bike shop what he though might be casuing it? He replied, "your bottom bracket is loose". Rubbish, I thought. He was right. The cups were not loose, but the bearings clearly had become that way. So, off I went to my locale spot for purchasing such parts, and bought another one. This one seems to be holding okay, for now. I have heard mixed reviews on this, and not just from this form. The owner of the shop that I took mine to appeared none to surprised, and went to say that he thought I was lucky I got as much use out of it as I had. Another store owner reiterated, and two other locations both said that what I had experienced was not what they have seen. Hmmm? What to make of all that. Perhaps a bad batch? I don't know. I do know that there was no such thing as a bad batch with the Super and Nuovo BBs. Hopefully they have dealt with this problem with the UT cups.

Favorite Ride:   Campbellville, Niagra escarpment southern Ontario

Purchased At:   supplier

Similar Products Used:   Campy Nuovo, Super and C Record groupos.

Bike Setup:   Colnago Master (58cm), 2005 Record Groupo (alloy cranks) 39-53 rings, 11-23 ti/steel cassett, Chorus Ti seat post, Fizik Aliante ti/carbon saddle, Cinelli RAM bar/stem with gel/cork tape, Ambrosio Nemesis 32 hole tubular rims, 14 gauge Dt spokes, Continetal Sprinter tubulars, Time RSX pedals, Elite Ciussi stainless steel cages, Polar CS100 heart rate monitor.

Submitted by Mitch a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight.

Weaknesses:    The bearing size and robustness.

Bottom Line:
    This is the only Campy component that I can't recommend. After it failed and I took it apart to diagnose the failure, I was VERY disappointed with the size of the tiny bearings. Buy a Phil Wood and no more worries.

Favorite Ride:   Local

Purchased At:   Lickton's

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Phil Wood, Nashbar.

Bike Setup:   Custom Oswald frame with Campy Chorus groupo. I had upgraded the BB and headset when I swapped frames. No more Campy cartridge BB's for me.

Submitted by the bull a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2006

Strengths:    Nice looks light smooth bearings.
    You could rebuild it if you had a press.

Weaknesses:    Bearings can fail
    expensive

Bottom Line:
    Very cool looking carbonfiber until it is hidden in bike.
    At least I know It is cool and hidden.

I have not personally had any problems with mine but some of my customers have. I have seen alot of bearing races fail in these things. If I ever have a problem I will replace it with a phil wood. I keep mine for now because I got it in the group my bike came with.

Favorite Ride:   Your mom!

Purchased At:   Shop

Similar Products Used:   Just about everything out there (Seriously)!

Bike Setup:   All record merckx
    Chours mixed with record IF

Submitted by Florentine Pogen a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2005

Strengths:    Pretty
    Looks awsome

Weaknesses:    Fails prematurely

Bottom Line:
    The Bottom bracket is light. It looks cool.
    The carbon looks nice and pretty when you pull it out of the box. Then you put it on the bike. It is out of sight. Works just like a BB should until the bearings fail. The races wear fast. I work on alot of bikes and have replaced several of these.

You should get a Phil Wood.
    Now thats a nice BB.
    If you buy a group I would even recomend selling it in ebay.

Favorite Ride:   Most