FSA Mega Exo Bottom Brackets

1.8/5 (20 Reviews)

Replacement bearing cups (bottom bracket) for FSA outboard-bearing cranksets.

Submitted by homebrewevolver a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    Looks

Weaknesses:    Doesn't last, bad seals

Bottom Line:
The first time I rode with it I thought it was great. I got the bike for cyclocross and I did not ride it very often because I ride road too, and it was still road season. I had my first cyclocross race and the thing seized up, and got all gunky. I did some research on how to rebuild the bearings and I found out that the seals and covers always break when you take them off and FSA expects you to buy replacements for 3 to 10 dollars a pop. After doing more research I found out that the problem is that these are just crappy bottom brackets. I bought a dura ace 7900 BB and it is in the mail being shipped right now. It is my understanding that most people end up doing exactly this. I have even heard many people say that their LBS recommends just throwing out the megaexo for a Duraace right off the bat.

Submitted by Bibi a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2011

Strengths:    Rigid, lightwieght

Weaknesses:    low reliability, low durability, poor design (crank unscrewed once)

Bottom Line:
Bearings completely froze after 1000km (and riding through some ocean water, I have to confess). Got a new pair, and 2000km later they are creaking...

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   shimano octalink, old school campy

Bike Setup:   schwinn peleton, dt swiss tricon wheels, 10 sp shimano ultegra/dura ace.

Submitted by Gareth a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    Bike is great

Weaknesses:    BB started grinding an creaking with in 2-3 weeks under no load other than commuting.

Bottom Line:
Paid $1150 for my new sleek Kona Unit only to have the BB grind creak and clunk with in 2-3 weeks - the bike is solid although the break scrape like a banshee.

I only commute for 15-30 minutes morning and afternoon and never put the bike under load.

Unfortunately the bloke I bought this from is a grumpy old bugger who likes to imply that you brke the bike rather than the bike being faulty, so I'm not in the mood to challenge him on - it even though it's still under warranty.

Will now buy a superior quality BB and swap it out.

Purchased At:   Stanmore Cycles

Bike Setup:   Kona Unit 2011- Off the shelf

Submitted by Steven a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2011

Strengths:    Love the bike so far. If not for the BB and that the front is a 46-36. I plan to change 46 to a 50. This, I hope, should give me more high end. Aluminum frame and fiber front fork are very smooth on the road.

Weaknesses:    BB is crap and gettig use to using the Sram double tapp.

Bottom Line:
Bike came with FSA EXO BB and only after 2 30 mile rides started to make noise. I've had other bikes with unsealed and sealed BB bearings that never craped out soo soon.

Favorite Ride:   Motobecane Phantom Pro

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Diamond back.

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Cyclecross Phantom Pro, Scram Rivel front and rear.

Submitted by Clutch a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2010

Strengths:    Unbreakable, in my experience.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
My touring/commuting road bike came with standard FSA Gossamer cranks and Mega Exo bb back in 2005. I've ridden the bejeezus out of that bike, with heavy loads, lots of crappy weather conditions, and putting a lot of leg into the cranks almost every day, (I've weighed between 200 and 250 pounds over that time!)

The bb is still absolutely money. No creaks, clicks or squeaks; it's quiet and smooth. (I've had preventative maintenance done twice anyhow.) Maybe I was just lucky, considering the problems that other reviewers have reported, but my experience has been as good as it can be.

Favorite Ride:   Low traffic + good road

Similar Products Used:   Various Shimano bbs.

Bike Setup:   Triple chainring, Tiagra shifters/fd, LX rd, racks front and back -- typical touring/commuting layout.

Coming soon - hottest road bike products from these brands!