Shimano 105 BB-5500 Bottom Brackets

3.4/5 (15 Reviews)

#03050 As a direct descendent of Dura-Ace, no other road component group provides the same cost-performance value as Shimano 105. The 8-spline interface between the BB and crank arm forms a strong highly rigid connection that reduces ...

Submitted by kadima18 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2011

Strengths:    easy to install,extreme reliability,maintenence free,smooth frictionless spin,price

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
outstanding durability and smooth spin since 2005!!all weather rides , multiple chain,ring and cassette changes,200 miles a week without incident.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   all sorts of sealed bearing unserviceable bottom brackets

Bike Setup:   '04 Soma Smoothie 8-5-3 frame with look carbon fork,Shimano 105 9 speed drivetrain w/ Stronglight CT2 42-52 and Dura ace 12-23 cassete, Easton Ascent II wheelset

Submitted by Terry a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2011

Strengths:    durable, maintenance free

Weaknesses:    Eventually with rainy rides, grime builds up requires it to be cleaned and re-tightened.

Bottom Line:
I am randonneur and thus have put many miles on my Trek 2200. Original shimano BB-5500 bottom bracket still working after almost 10 years. Had to have it cleaned and tightened up a couple of times to eliminate the clicking that eventually occurs when grime builds up. Several years between each maintenance of bottom bracket, I have had to replace chain ring and cassette twice in comparison. Seen lots of rain when the standard brevets (rides) range from 125 miles to 375 miles. Advice: get the tools to learn how to maintain BB yourself. Use medium loctite on the threads. Tighten to 360 in pounds. See instructions at www.parktool.com website.

Favorite Ride:   Paris-Brest-Paris

Bike Setup:   Randonneur setup (www.rusa.org). Long distance cyclist.

Submitted by Tim a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2009

Strengths:    Reliable, after over 20k miles am replacing it just because.

Bottom Line:
I have a Shimano BB-5500 bottom bracket on a 2000 Trek 520 touring bike. This set has functioned flawlessly for nearly 10 years and well over 20k miles of riding. I suspect that many of the problems of other posters are caused by flawed installation, rather than a defect with the bearings. After, your car wheels run on sealed bearings, with much higher stresses these days - when was the last time you had them repacked? I cannot believe that a 180 lb rider can destroy these bearings. Best.

Similar Products Used:   Campy Veloce outboard bearings, numerous regular cup and ball setups.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock 2000 Trek 520.

Submitted by rideinhumboldt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2008

Strengths:    For the bb? None.

Weaknesses:    Low quality bottom bracket, apparently very prone to grittyness and creaking. I'd avoid the 105 Hollowtech bb like the plague.

Bottom Line:
My Felt F75 came with a 105/ultegra mix (the bb is 105), that has been a LOT of trouble for me, and I've only had the bike a month. After 200 miles, the freehub body blew up, and now at 300 miles, the bb is clicking badly. I had my shop tighten down the bb, which took care of the problem for about 3-4 miles, but the clicking came back with a fury after about 2 miles out of the saddle, and I'm only 170 lbs. I was going to have the bracket taken apart, re-packed, and assembled again, but after reading everyone else's reviews, I'll take up the shop's offer to warranty the product (though all that means is another 105 bb for me). Everything else with the drivetrain is great, however; it shifts like a dream and runs very quietly when it's working right.

Favorite Ride:   Hills

Purchased At:   Adventure's Edge

Similar Products Used:   None; this is my first "modern" roadie.

Bike Setup:   Felt F75 with 105 throughout, except ultegra rear derailleur & Look Keo pedals.

Submitted by JohnnyTooBad a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2007

Strengths:    ?? I would say cheap, but an Ultegra BB is the same price. Got a few good years out of it.

Weaknesses:    Like others have said, it doesn't keep the grit out. My bike has seen it's share of wet rides.

Bottom Line:
I commute on my roadie, as well as weekend rides. I put somewhere around 3500-4000 miles on the stock bike with a mix of 105 and Ultegra componenets. I've been getting clicking and a gritty feeling in the BB for a year now. I've taken it off and tried to clean it up a few times. Usually, it would help for a ride or two, but this last time, it was worse after the cleaning(?). So, time to swap it out for an Ultegra BB. Being 195lbs and averaging 18-21mph per ride, I guess it's held up okay.

Favorite Ride:   Wherever

Similar Products Used:   None. It's my first road bike.

Bike Setup:   Klein Q Carbon Pro. Stock. Mostly 105 with Ultegra Rear D.