Shimano 105 SM-FC5600 Bottom Brackets

• Spindle Crank Arm Mounts
  • 68mm Axle Length

Submitted by irl_13 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2009

Strengths:    -durable
-stiff
-smooth
-cheap
-easy to install
-clean
-lightweight

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
Shimano is quality japanese engineering. i have put over 5000km on this BB so far with a 200lb cyclist and there are no signs of wear. the bottom bracket system is brilliant. Easy to install, stiff, durable, smooth bearings, good seals to keep water and dirt out, and cheap. what more do you want?
the only reson to buy a more expensive BB would be for smoother bearings or less weight but you'd struggle to find either and especially for anything near the price

Similar Products Used:   square taper BB's

Bike Setup:   Dolan Hercules SE with Shimano 105

Submitted by Steve Pittarelli a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    Stiffness
Easy to install

Weaknesses:    Tick! Creak! Ping! Repeat!!
Not durable
Once shot, will develop far more play than a cartridge version

Bottom Line:
I'm very disappointed in outboard bearing bottom brackets in general. Initially, they are impressive. The bottom bracket area gets an added measure of stiffness, something all riders can appreciate. My first bike had the 105 version. After 1,000 miles, it developed an annoying ticking sound. The sound progressed to the point where I could feel it vibrate through the crankarms, and I noticed play developing. I've also had Ultegra and Truvativ versions on my other bikes. The results were similar, except that the Truvativ developed so much play over time I thought the cranks would fall off! I'm a marathoner; I ride from sun up to sun down. I can't tolerate the ticks, creaks, and having my cranks shift from side to side. One by one, I've replaced them with old school cartridge brackets. At least with these I get a quiet ride for a good 5,000 miles worth. My overall rating is a 2/5; one for stiffness and one for ease of installation.

Favorite Ride:   rides without ticking sounds