Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 Bottom Brackets

The bottom bracket bearings for the HollowTech II FC7900 crankset, which is the ultimate crankset for stiffness whilst keeping weight low for performance riding and racing.

Submitted by Paul S a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2015

Strengths:    Durability, smooth running.

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
My 2003 Giant TCR Composite 0 bike came with the Dura-Ace 7800 drive train (after a mid-year model upgrade). This is exactly the same BB as the 7900. I didn't even know what a bottom bracket was until mine became a little grumbly after 12,000 Kms, about two years ago. That's about 10 years service life with only infrequent bike servicing. The mechanic suggested I replace it with a Dura-Ace 7900 fitted with Enduro ceramic bearings. What a mistake that was! The Enduro bearings lasted just 2,800 Kms before starting to disintegrate. I've swapped back to original Shimano steel bearings and no more problems - probably for another 10 years. I don't know if all ceramic bearings are like that, but I'd recommend staying away from them.

Submitted by DocH a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2009

Strengths:    Quiet and smooth. Surprisingly cheap for DA.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
The MegaExo BB that came with my FSA crank lasted about 10,000 miles before it started clicking on every stroke. I replaced it with one of these and have put about 1,000 miles on it so far. No squeaks, clicks, or other noises, and very smooth action. I reused the old FSA washers (which no longer had their rubberized coating) and had to readjust the front derailleur a bit, so the Q-factor is probably a bit wider with the Shimano BB than with the FSA. I'd recommend leaving the washers out entirely. Lubed everything with Tacx and used Loktite Blue on the retaining bolt. Haven't needed to retorque anything since the original installation.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   FSA MegaExo 8800

Bike Setup:   2006 Felt 2C, Dura, FSA SLK crank

Submitted by Stevemtbr a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2009

Strengths:    Easy install, smooth, quiet.

Weaknesses:    Now I might have to buy more Dura Ace parts!

Bottom Line:
I have and FSA Gossamer compact crank and the FSA bottom bracket just wasn't cutting it. I didn't want to go with another FSA BB so after some research I found that Hollowtech II BB's fit the Gossamer crank. I have never owned a Dura Ace level part so I said what the H*** and bought the 7900. Man what a huge difference. Smooth as butta and no creaking!!!!! Well worth the $50. Can't be happier. Currently have about 500 miles on it.

Favorite Ride:   Betz Rd

Purchased At:   Universalcycles

Similar Products Used:   FSA, 105, Ultegra

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez steel with FSA crank, 105 shift/der, Ultegra hubs lasced to Mavic 32h CXP33 rims,SRAM cassette, Krylon tires, Specialized seat post bar/stem

Submitted by JaneR a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth, quiet and quick. Handles loaded gear changes well.

Weaknesses:    Hmmmm, I guess I just wish it wasn't so pricey.

Bottom Line:
Using the Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 over the past three months has been eye-opening! I really didn't think that there was such a HUGE difference in components. Wrong.
I have markedly improved my climbing and speed averages. Continuing to be surprised on the climbing: much much faster, less strenuous, less exhaustion upon completion, better recovery.
The shifting is very smooth, quiet and quick. I recently compared it to the new Electronic Shift from Shimano at the Sea Otter. While that's a fantastic product as well, for the cash? The 7900 is definitely the best for me!

Favorite Ride:   Cervelo