Shimano Dura-Ace 8/9 speed SG Big Chainring Chainrings

54T or 55T

Submitted by Juny Binamira a Road Racer from Tagbilaran, Bohol, Philippines

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2001

Strengths:    Very true, quick-shifting from the small ring, really cool-looking (to me) coating.

Weaknesses:    That cool-looking coating? Well, it doesn't take very long before the rings start oxidizing and the stuff starts flaking off... it then looks just awful!

Bottom Line:
I've always loved the color (pewter?) of DA chainrings, so even though my old ones were chipped and oxidizing away, I ordered a new set to mount on my new Profile carbon cranks - thinking that, hey, the new set should look good for a while anyway, until the onset of the dreaded chipping, flaking away of the cool coating. Wrong! Here I am less than three months and 2,000 km later, and the stuff is again beginning to flake off. The rings are very true, and I can't complain about shifting action, but the long-term aesthetics just don't cut it. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for these, but next time, I'm not buying Shimano - maybe I'll try TA.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere my bike takes me

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105, Ultegra - both 8 & 9 speed

Bike Setup:   GIANT TCR TEAM ONCE REPLICA, Full DA, Profile ElitePro carbon cranks, Campy Record Profit ti pedals, ITM Millenium stem, 3T Prima 199 bars, Easton CT2 carbon post, Selle Flite saddle, Mavic Ksyrium wheelset, Michelin AxialPro, Various SRP bits - the whole bike weighs less than 16lbs.

Submitted by Andrew Marchant-Shapiro a Commuter from Onalaska, WI,USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2000

Strengths:    It's much prettier than the equivalent Ultegra model. Reputed to be somewhat stronger (more durable).

Weaknesses:    None that I can see.

Bottom Line:
I picked this ring up for $15, and I think it was well-spent. It's strong, it's light, it's pretty, and it's very round. It is also rather expensive if you have to pay full retail, but if you don't have to, it's well worth the price.

Favorite Ride:   Grandad Bluff

Similar Products Used:   Gipiemme, Shimano 105.

Bike Setup:   '88 Bianchi CDI with all Shimano 600 stuff EXCEPT for the big ring, which is a DA 53.