Shimano CN-7800 10sp Chains

3.33/5 (6 Reviews)

The new 10-speed Dura-Ace chain is lighter by an astonishing 24g, yet maintains the same durability as the 9-speed predecessor.

Submitted by gbcraig a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2008

Strengths:    Longevity
Quick clean smooth shifts

Weaknesses:    None identified.

Bottom Line:
This 7800 chain came with the bike. I rode it 2,000 miles and it still checked good (between .50 and .75 on Park chain checker) but I figure chains are cheaper than sprockets so I changed it. It always shifted very well. The only problem I had was 2 incidents of chain suck when new. I switched to Break-Free oil and it never happened again. I replaced the chain with a 7801 chain which I thought was pretty much same but, after only 1,700 miles is at .75 on the park tool.

Similar Products Used:   7801 chain.
Wippermann 10SO (not good.)

Bike Setup:   Bontrager compact crank otherwise all dura ace drive train, 12-27 cassette.

Submitted by WildL a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2006

Strengths:    Non that I can be bothered to think of.

Weaknesses:    Very pricey for something that could get you seriously hurt.

Bottom Line:
By the way the price I pay is £18
Don't bother with this chain. I have used 4 chains in the past year and all of them have failed at a pin location. As someone previously mentioned, the side plate pops off. Shimano have this idea of using a hardened pin that "has to be used" each time a new connection is made. This pin is pushed through and left flush on the opposite side.
It is my belief that this chain is a danger and I feel I have been lucky. My faith in this chain is no more I am looking at a KMC chain to replace my Dura Ace.
If there was ever a "Chilli rating" I'de give it a rotten tomato.

Favorite Ride:   Any in Mallorca

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra 8 and 9.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Caad 2 with carbon bars, stem and forks. Dura ace groupset. (Except the chain)

Submitted by Jeffz a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2005

Strengths:    Many

Bottom Line:
Chain lasted 1500 miles. I lube with pro link every other ride. Just as good as the 9 speed if you maintain it a little extra.

Favorite Ride:   Up Mountain

Purchased At:   Came with Group[

Similar Products Used:   All types

Bike Setup:   2000 Litespeed Ultimate.
DA 10

Submitted by easchepi a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2005

Strengths:    Quiet
Extremely Smooth
Never ever fell off

Weaknesses:    Became noiser with time, but still not enough for me to worry

Bottom Line:
I've had two Dura Ace 10 spd chains. The first lasted 3,400 miles and the second lastest 3 days on the rollers. The failure on the second chain was not due to material fatigue, but because it wasn't put on correctly (so i'm assuming).

Favorite Ride:   Hills, Hills, Hills

Similar Products Used:   Wipperman Connex (this chain snapped after 3 months of leisure riding)

Bike Setup:   Cannondale, optimo
Full Dura Ace- even the wheels and pedals
SLR saddle/ Thompson post/ Vittoria tires

Submitted by bb62 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2004

Strengths:    Good clean shifting when new and installed correctly.

Weaknesses:    Tendency to fall off, very prone to pin failures, high wear rates

Bottom Line:
I have used three dura ace 10 speed chains in training and racing over six months. They wear out much quicker than the old 9 speed HG92. They all fall off the inside on big ring downshifts when near new, but this habit goes away within a thousand kilometres of use. They frequently suffer pin failures where the pin dislodges and one chain plate becomes detached - and this is not at the joiner pin either. The chain is the worst component of the otherwise brilliant DA 10 speed group - it is absolute rubbish and I won't be using any more of these. The last one failed in two places within 5km of installation !.

Purchased At:   Parker