Shimano Dura-Ace CN-7700 Chains

2.67/5 (9 Reviews)

The new 10-speed Dura-Ace chain is lighter by an astonishing 24g, yet maintains the same durability as the 9-speed predecessor. The chain also adds a new fluid-smooth feel to the performance of the overall system.

Submitted by osfan456 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2005

Strengths:    The DA chain is of course, quite light. It also shifts beautifully with my 105 drivetrain. When it's all clean, it's pretty and shiny.

Weaknesses:    Well, it doesn't work. I'm a bit of a clydesdale, and the chain really complained on any climbs, and on what turned out to be the last climb of the day, the chain just broke. It looks like I lost a side plate. After numerous failures/repairs, I had to ditch it. I might make a chain whip out of it. It'll be the prettiest chain whip on the block!

Bottom Line:
I was very disappointed by the quality of this chain. It hasn't lasted me even one ride, and after numerous repairs, it still doesn't want to work.

Purchased At:   ASUCD Bike Barn

Similar Products Used:   The 105 chain that came with the bike gave me no problems.

Submitted by dean a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2004

Strengths:    Durability.....ha,ha,ha That is a joke

Weaknesses:    Craftsmanship

Bottom Line:
This chain sucks *ss. I used chain 4 times. Once on my trainer and it broke one side of a link off so I fixed it. The next 2 rides were fine. Then a pin fell out and took my derailer with it and bent my hanger and stripped the hole. The hanger is alum. and LBS said that if they bend it back it will fatigue and break. So now my frame is toast. Thanks Shimano for make a complete piece of crap and killing my frame.

Favorite Ride:   Anything Hilly

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200 dura/ace with Hed Alp Wheels

Submitted by indianabob a Recreational Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2002

Strengths:    Perfect shifting, looks good, very quiet and smooth feel. ,

Weaknesses:    I've run through four of these, and once, had a link start to come undone. I soft pedaled back to my car and it held together. I did have about 2,500 miles on this chain that went bad. Since, I change the thing out at about 2,000 miles, and it's been fabulous.

Bottom Line:
I keep my D/A derailleurs well adjusted, and the thing shifts like a dream. I dunno, but I think that some of the complaints others might have are from not keeping the chain clean and lubed, and their drivetrain well tuned. I've wanted to try the Wipperman, but can't bring myself to pop 35 bucks (on sale) on one.

Favorite Ride:   anything with hills

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 89. SRAM 89 looks cool with the little cutouts, but after about 1,000 miles, the thing was noisy as hell (squeaky), and never did shift as well as the D/Ace. I had let the LBS guy tell me that D/

Bike Setup:   custom landshark steel, D/A, velomax wheels, vred. clinchers, cinelli bar/stem, prolink gel saddle.

Submitted by lt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Strengths:    It comes with a Dura ace Build kit

Weaknesses:    Replacment pins. Noisy.

Bottom Line:
Chain came with Dura-Ace Group. I bought a new frame this year and transfered the group to a new bike with a new Dura Ace Cassette and SRAM PC-99 chain. I never realized how poorly the Dura Ace Chain shifted. It is also very noisy. I had to put up with Shimano replacement pins when a SRAM powerlink works simply and does not require special tools. I can only thank the guys at my LBS for recommending the SRAM.

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC-99

Bike Setup:   Seven Axiom Ti/ Dura-Ace

Submitted by Marino a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Strengths:    Nice when new

Weaknesses:    Not so nice when worn.
Incompatible with worn cassettes.

Bottom Line:
Although designed to work well with the entire DA gruppo, this chain is lacking in overall performance. This chain only likes perfectly new cassettes and is unforgiving if either is worn. As with the rest of the DA gruppo, this chain should be considered a high performance, high maintenance.

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 99. Easier to clean. Perfect replacement for DA, shifts better under all conditions, regardless of cassette wear.

Bike Setup:   2000 Airborne Zepplin, DA, Ksyriums, Deda Newton