Shimano Dura-Ace CN-7701 Chains

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Dura-Ace, XTR 9-speed chain. Precision construction maintains shifting response with narrower 9-speed chain width. Compatible with any Shimano 9-speed cassette.

Submitted by Zachariah a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2009

Strengths:    9-speed durability, strength

Weaknesses:    None whatsoever...

Bottom Line:
Exactly the same as the XTR mountain chain, this 9-speed chain rocks compared to the new HG super-narrow 10-speed chains...which has been known to fail early in life.

Best results from Dura Ace components; cassette, cranks and BB. Why did Shimano even make 10-speed? Nine speed Mega enjoyed the LONGEST production run(10+ years) in cycling history.

Favorite Ride:   State Hwy 74

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC-991 Hollowpin
KMC 9SL
Yaban SL

Bike Setup:   16-pound CAAD 9/7

Submitted by BikeMan6x a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Strengths:    It works better with Campy 9 speed than a Record chain

Weaknesses:    I have had them bread on me

Bottom Line:
Great chain

Favorite Ride:   Mountians

Similar Products Used:   Sram, Campy

Bike Setup:   Record LiteSpeed
Dura Ace Kline Q - pro

Submitted by Cweezy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2008

Strengths:    Was quiet and smooth while it lasted

Weaknesses:    Only lasted 2 rides, back-to-back link failures thereafter. Provided final link-pin out of the box isn't nearly as slick a setup as a powerlink or similar.

Bottom Line:
I found this chain for sale at the big P for 25 bucks and grabbed one up to replace an older permagunked up but otherwise trusty shimano chain. Third ride in, on a 20 mile commute home, the chain starts making a ticking sound and I can feel some feedback in the pedals once every chain rotation. I check it out at home and one of the outer plates has bent outward and separated from its pin. I replace the entire link, and 3 miles into the very next ride another outer plate from a different spot completely separates and falls off. I decided I didn't need any more of this and returned it for a Sram chain.

I don't know if I got a bum chain or what, I'm a competent guy and I've pulled and re-connected plenty of chains before with no issue. Furthermore, nothing I would've done would have caused the chain to break in two different spots, nor would it have caused a link to let go of both pins that were holding it. Chain was 9-speed on an entirely 9-speed shimano drivetrain, lubed with finish line pro. It's disappointing that a top shelf product would behave this way.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Ultegra, SRAM PC-991

Bike Setup:   9 spd ultegra

Submitted by Veronikafan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2007

Strengths:    Shifts smoothly, runs quietly

Bottom Line:
I've been using Shimano chains on my Shimano drivetrains for 18 years, first the 7/8 speed Uniglide chains, and now 9 speed HyperGlide. I have never had one fail. I remove the gunk they pack it in, install the HG connecting pin correctly, lube it with ProLink, and replace the chain every few thousand miles so the rest of the drivetrain doesn't wear out. I don't remove the chain from the bike to clean it, I just squirt somemore ProLink on it and wipe it with a rag.
I have seen both the 10 speed Dura Ace chains as well as the 10 speed Campy chains break during rides. They are too thin, IMO.
There is not much difference between the Dura Ace chain and the lower-price point versions except the finish. The DA chain is fully nickel plated, whereas the cheaper ones are only partially plated or not at all. I don't think the plating extends the lifespan of the chain, it just looks fancier.

Favorite Ride:   Hunterdon County, NJ