Shimano HG-93 Chains

XT/Ultegra level Shimano 9 Speed Chain Compatibility: 9 speed Connection: Includes Shimano Pin ...

Submitted by Bobshere a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have recently exceeded 10,000 miles with this chain on TWO different road bikes I ride, and my Park chain wear tool shows I can still probably get a few thousand more miles on each chain !!! My road bikes are Ultegra with an XTR rear derailleur (giving me a super low 36/24 touring gear). I got ~6,000 miles on these previously. I switched to Pro Gold Chain Lube for the latest set of HG93's. I don't ride in the rain and lube the chains after ~250 miles. I haven't had any chain breaks or other problems. An amazingly excellent product from Shimano !!!!

Favorite Ride:   Iron Horse/Contra Costa/Calif.

Purchased At:   various

Submitted by Brian Aslett a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to fit.
Quiet.
Long lasting.
Did not rust.

Bottom Line:
I've just replaced the chain after about 4 000 miles because it got to the wear limit. I've had no problems, easy to fit, smooth changing, quiet and unlike the previous 105 chain, did not rust (I've used Pedro's Ice Wax regularly).
I've just fitted another one.
After reading the reviews on the equivalent 10 speed chain, I guess I'll stay with my 9 speed gear set!

Favorite Ride:   Any ride out of the wind!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105 chain

Bike Setup:   K2 MOD 3. Mixture of 105 & Ultegra components. Fizik Arione saddle, Bontrager race light wheels, Conti 4000s tires

Submitted by Barry a Recreational Rider from Bowling Green, KY USA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Strengths:    Long lasting, quiet, reasonably priced.

Weaknesses:    Break off pin makes a chain cleaner mandatory.

Bottom Line:
My wife has used this chain for about 3,500 miles and it has not stretched at all, it's like new. No problems(her weight is 125lb). I just put this chain on my bike and found both of them to be very quiet.

Favorite Ride:   flat with a tailwind

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Dura Ace (good chain). SRAM PC-89R (squeaky, not good- be sure to read my review on that one).

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200 frame (120gram). Dura Ace components. Rolf Vector Pro or Nimble Crosswind wheels.