Wipperman Connex 9X1 9sp Chains

2.39/5 (18 Reviews)

A tool-free link, that allows you to take off your chain as many times as you want without weaken the chain.

Submitted by AF.Rider a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2011

Strengths:    Lasts forever. Loves the kilowatts. (well, honestly, most any bike chain is plenty strong if it's installed properly).

Weaknesses:    connector (snap on) is difficult to use. Like, SERIOUSLY difficult to put on and take off.

Bottom Line:
I can't remember when I put this chain, it's been that long. Over 3 years at least, over 15,000 miles. Yeah, I've been stingy, not replacing my chain, but it still works good enough. I ride really hard, TONS of sprints, ape-sheet accelerations, standing starts, big gear sprints up 18% grades at 40 rpms. My nuts owe this chain, for only having broken only once. And that was because I did a sprint when it was not fully shifted. When people / bike shops say to replace your chain every 3000 miles, laugh. Unless your off roading in the mud or something. A properly maintained chain on a road bike should last over 10,000 miles.

In my experience, Sram chains don't ride as quiet on Shimano cassettes as Shimano or Wipperman chains.

Similar Products Used:   shimano, sram

Submitted by ReneB a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    Hardly any stretch after 5 years of use on full XTR drivetrain. Never caused chain suck or any drivetrain issues.

Weaknesses:    None. Never broke. Kept chain properly lubed.

Bottom Line:
My ride is composed of 3 times a week average 12 + miles off road/single track.
I have chain gauge and checked chain at least once a year (lazy).

Favorite Ride:   Mtn All trails

Purchased At:   Local Bike Store in

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   XTR drivetrain, Hayes disc, Mavic wheels, Rockshox fork on Intense Uzzi SL frame

Submitted by Trailboss7 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2008

Strengths:    performance

Weaknesses:    a bit pricey. but got it on sale.

Bottom Line:
Replaced my campy 9sp chain with the Wipperman. Easy assembly, smoother shifting than what I was using.

Favorite Ride:   Berici Hills (VI) Italy

Similar Products Used:   SRAM, Shimano, Campagnolo

Bike Setup:   steel frame (Columbus Aluthron), campy veloce gruppo.

Submitted by equinoxranch a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Strengths:    Everything

Bottom Line:

Over the years, a number of chains have come with some gone or morphed. While I have never experienced any chain that was not at least adequately good - PROVIDED THAT IT IS OF PROPER LENGTH, WAS PROPERLY INSTALLED AND MAINTAINED..., DUH (not all of you have figured out that rocket science) - I have to say that all Wipperman chains that I have ridden/used have always proven exceptional. These ARE well designed, well made - finished and very smooth, solid chains. If only from the standpoint of smoothness, these chains are winners. And due to routine maintenance of lubrication and cleaning which any chain deserves but hardly ever gets, durability is also outstanding.

High marks all around!!!

Favorite Ride:   Numerous, always with climbing

Similar Products Used:   Regina, Sedis, Sachs, Rohloff and Campagnolo

Bike Setup:   Mostly classic lugged steel bikes, one titanium, one carbon........., all Campy, with very solid, stable, reliable wheels. No silly poseur lightweight breakdown nonsense on any rig I'd ever ride.

Submitted by FatguyRacer a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2007

Strengths:    High profit margin for the LBS that sold it to me. Not really their fault, I asked them to special order the chains for me. Still better than a Dura Ace chain.

Weaknesses:    Too high maintenace. Not durable enough for anyone who doesnt have a Pro-Tour wrench looking after the bike after every ride. The chains require a level of dedidcation to keeping clean that most of us do not possess.

Bottom Line:
I bought 2 of these chains at the same time intending on installing them on 2 different bikes. I only installed it on one bike, my best bike, the IF. The chaing worked great at the begining of its life but it developed a kink and i installed the other chain. It lasted less then 1000 mile and it developed multiple kinks during a particularly grueling day of riding on Skyline Drive. The chain left me stranded at one of the gas stations. I had to buy a bottle of lamp oil from the gift shop to try and clean and repair the chain. It was no use. Fortunately a nice couple on vacation drove me and my bike back to my truck.
I bought a SRAM PC-971 chain the next day. I should have bought the SRAM to begin with.

Bottom Line - Unless your a protour rider with a personal mechanic overseeing your every bicycle need, buy something else.

Favorite Ride:   Rt-424/Rt50 park & Ride