Campagnolo Record Carbon Cranksets

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Campagnolo Record Carbon Crankset at $479.95 is priced super low. The carbon-fiber Record crankset outclasses itself. A new technology of composite materials that was recently introduced to the aerospace industry is now used in the new Record crankset: M

Submitted by Robert a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight. Sexy. Inspires false sense of personal self worth. Works great until it fails.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. Breaks. Metal sleeve/collar is glued and screwed into the carbon crank arm. Eventually, this bond breaks and your crank arm is toast.

Bottom Line:
Rating: FAIL.

Let's face it; we're all in love with carbon fiber. We all love shaving grams, we rave about the road feel, and swear the material has improved our cycling experience and performance. But if we dig deep within our psyches we may find that our carbon-lust is just as much about inspiring ooh-aah comments, longing glances, one-upping the club/race crowd, thereby shoring up our own insecurities. Okay, enough psychoanalysis.

The stuff breaks. Just wait. Eventually, it WILL break.

It's typically not a full, catastrophic break-in-two type break; it's usually a metal-glued-to-carbon part that fails.

My experience: Bought a 2005 Scott CR-1 spec'd with full Campy Record 10 carbon fiber everything. Loved it. Changed my life. Fabulous bike, fabulous components. Now it's 2010, and my third carbon-fiber related failure has occurred: the alloy insert has popped out of the left arm of the carbon Campy crankset. I was pedaling along, my pedal felt loose, I looked down and there's my pedal attached to my shoe, but detached from the crank, with the little metal collar snugly attached to the pedal threads. I was on my way to a race, and showed my problem to a few people to get ideas for a possible quick fix. "I've seen FSA carbon cranks do that, never Campy!" said one. "Looks like you need a new crank," deadpanned another.

OUT OF WARRANTY -- Campy warrants for 3 years and I've had this for five, so I'm out of luck.

Incidentally, similar problem happened to the Scott CR-1 frame last year -- the metal bottom-bracket-receiving cup glued into the frame worked itself loose, which rendered the entire frame useless. Bikesale.com helped me get a warranty replacement frame. Also, the Campy carbon front dérailleur shattered last fall and needed to be replaced.

What will I do? Probably replace the whole thing with more Campy carbon fiber.

I'm weak.

Favorite Ride:   Etape de Tour

Purchased At:   Bikesale.com

Similar Products Used:   Campy centaur metal crankset. Eight years, 35,000+ miles, never an issue.

Bike Setup:   Scott CR-1, Campy Record 10 speed carbon-fiber-everything.

Submitted by dekoffer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2009

Strengths:    Precise shifting, very stiff crankset, and flawless style.

Weaknesses:    Pedal insert comes out of crank and Campy says there is no fix other than to replace entire crank at cost to the consumer.

Bottom Line:
I own the 2006 Record 10 CT Crankset. This review concerns a manufacturing defect with the crankset and Campy's unwillingess repair the crankset.

Recently, when removing the pedal from the right crankarm, the the alloy insert of the crankarm came out along with the pedal. My LBS contacted Campy about a fix, and they replied that it could not be fixed; that a new crankset was required. My LBS told me that they believe this response is BS. The insert was obviously threaded into the crankarm at some point of the manufacturing process and some compound was used to prevent the insert from coming out along with a pedal. I did not ask for free service (my 3 year warranty is up) or a replacement. All I wanted was a repair at cost to me. It is obvious to my LBS and to me that repair should be possible. I expected more from Campy, so be aware of this issue before buying.

Similar Products Used:   I've always used campy on my road bikes.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roubaix Pro frameset, Rolf Prima Elan wheelset.

Submitted by ironseth a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff, Simple, Light, Sleek, very impressive

Weaknesses:    proprietary chainring bolts are REALLY annoying, they're chainring bolts, can't you just use the same as everything else?

Bottom Line:
WOW, after years riding the campy sq.taper models, and the octalink offerings form shimano I was intrigued to see what all the hype was about external bearings. From the first pedal stroke I was amazed, the bike feels like an absolute rocket. Zero flex, nice smooth bearings, I'm sold. Only been riding for a couple weeks, so I can't comment on the durability, but assembly/disassembly is a snap. Only problem (other than the retail price tag) is the chainring bolts. The pair I got was just arms, not rings or bolts. I was planning on swapping the bolts from the alloy chorus crank I took off, no can do, the carbon UT models have proprietary chainring bolts with a smaller diameter than everything else on the market, and the replacements are insanely expensive. Tiso makes a set of bolts and thats what I ended up going with. I know, thats what I get for going with Campy, but c'mon man! Otherwise very very impressed, especially if you can get a good price on a used set.

Purchased At:   Ebay (arms only no r