FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact Cranksets

4.39/5 (18 Reviews)

Patented Carbon composite crank arms One-piece carbon spider Precision CNC machined 7075/T6 chainrings, ramped and pinned for perfect shifting Shimano Octalink - 9 speed ISIS Drive 9 or 10 speed 50/34 (road) or 46/36 (cyclocross) 170mm, 172.5mm, 175mm, 110mm bolt circle diameter 7075 Torx T-30 alloy chainring bolts Q-Factor - 150mm Spindle Octalink 103mm, Isis Drive 108mm Chainline - 43.5mm Weight 521 grams

Submitted by MRVODELI a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2011

Strengths:    SHIFTED WELL, GOOD LOOKS. WITH THE USE OF THE LIGHT WEIGHT FSA TI PRO ISIS BB IT WAS THE LIGHTEST THING IN MARKET

Weaknesses:    CRANK ARM SHIFTED OF ITS SEATING WITH CHAINRING SUPPORT BECAME UNRELIABLE

Bottom Line:
Loved it at first its light strong, look good, shifted well, replaced the 34 with a 36, wasn't ready to give in to old age yet! BUT WHAT HAPPEN WAS ON THE CHAIN RING SIDE THE ARM MOVE FORWARD ABOUT HALF INCH OUT OF PLACE IN RELATION TO THE CHAIN RINGS MAYBE EVEN A THREE QUATERS INCH DON'T KNOW WHY THE ARM MOVED IN ON THE SIDER CHAIN RING SUPPORT BUT THEY DID SO I HAD TO SPEND MORE HARD EARN MONEY ON NEW EQUIPMENT AND BB AND BB TOOLS AND I JUST THOUGHT PRO SERIES WAS SOMETHING THAT WAS PROVEN FSA QUALITY I GUESS I WAS WRONG TO BUY IT SHOULD OF STAYED SHIMANO. I JUST WANTED TO GO COMPACT AND SHAVE SOME GRAMS OFF THE BIKE At 47 years of age I thought compact would help me stay with the young lads

Favorite Ride:   murdockville loop

Purchased At:   Bob's cycle Idaho

Similar Products Used:   SHIMANO ULTEGRA CRANK SET AND BB

Bike Setup:   AIRBORNE TI WITH SHIMANO GROUP JUST WANTED TO GO COMPACT

Submitted by jester50 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, strong, lightweight, looks sleek, very well made. It's FSA! Replacement chain rings still easy to find.

Weaknesses:    Getting hard to find the crankset new and even used.

Bottom Line:
My bike was a triple...I wanted to go to double, but didn't want the hassle of switching everything over. I also didn't want to lose my hill climbing edge. Answer...get a compact! I researched the best compacts for the $$ and the FSA carbon elite was always a top choice. They're getting hard to find now and I picked mine up on eBay.

The crank is light and stiff...I combined it with a FSA platinum pro TI BB and SRAM hollow pin chain for a super-light, smooth combo and I couldnt be happier. It shifts and performs flawlessly and looks great too. Upon purchase, this crank was actually setup as a 52-36. I changed out the ring to a 50-36 and I changed my cassette to a dura-ace 11-23. This works very well for me and I am able to pedal at a higher more consistent cadence than I did with my triple. With compacts you might have to fine tune the shifting a bit more since its a bigger jump, but once you dial it in it shifts just as smooth as my triple did. Never drops off or hesitates. I am very pleased with this crankset and doubt I will ever consider a double or tripe crank again.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Mary Rd

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   FSA gossamer triple. Shimano ultegra double.

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Allez, ultegra/dura ace/FSA train.

Submitted by fats a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2007

Strengths:    Reliability. Ease of installation.

Weaknesses:    Slight lack of stiffness.

Bottom Line:
I installed this crankset on a project bike for randonneuring and ultracycling and have put close to 10,000 miles on them without incident. There is little appreciable wear of the chainrings, which is a surprise, and the setup shifts easily with IRD's compact front derailleur. I will eventually try another chainset with longer crank arms but this product has been very satisfactory.

Favorite Ride:   Masi Carbon Speciale

Purchased At:   ebay

Bike Setup:   FSA Platinum Pro Ti BB, Look Keo Carbon pedals, IRD compact derailleur, SRAM 9-speed cassette (11-21 or 12-26), Dura-Ace chain and triple rear derailleur.

Submitted by vio765 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Strengths:    see above

Weaknesses:    not a fan of the anodized chainrings. better if it were polished all the way around

Bottom Line:
great crank. shifts well and is dependable. looks very good too

Favorite Ride:   TT training

Purchased At:   gottaridebikes.com

Similar Products Used:   FSA light.

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR, Zipp 404s, FSA carbon cockpit, Ultegra derailleurs, DA shifters, speedplay pedals.

Submitted by stevecaz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2006

Strengths:    Compact! While any compact would do, this one give great looks, great weight, and great shifting.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't use the latest trend of outboard bearings - but its lighter in the process.

Bottom Line:
One of the best items I have ever added to a bike (the compact aspect)! The great looks, super light weight, and good performance of this FSA just top it all off.

Well after hiting some really hilly early season group rides, I realized that there was no need to be just on the limits of meltdown in a 39-23. I set my sights on a compact crank, and decided on the FSA Carbon Pro Elite for a couple reasons. Good prices out there, nice more classic looks, and combined with a Ti ISIS bottom bracket, lighter than any "MegaExo" or outboard type bearing crank I saw. I weighed crank at 533 grams and BB at 168 which droped some serious weight off my old Ultegra double and 105 BB.

I've only go about 200 miles on this crank now, and I haven't left the big ring on my big weekend rides except for testing. I dropped my FD a bit, and it shifts perfect between the rings. I now believe the compact setup will become the norm for all except Cat 1-3 racers. I haven't been back to the big hills yet where I will use the more forgiving 34 tooth, but the 50 allows you to maintain momentum and cruise over the rollers and more serious hills under a 1/2 mile long. The crank has in fact accelerated my form this year by encouraging a higher pace, a little more push to roll over the hills, and in turn my leg strength and endurance was boosted.
I can't find any problems with this thing.

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Always used standard 53-39 double (well since they changed from the old standard of 52-42 a long time ago).

Bike Setup:   C-Dale CAAD5, full carbon fork, Ultegra

Ride Report - FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact

I went out last night on my maiden voyage with my new FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact crank installed...one word...WOW!! I accept that the "new" factor may have been kicking in, but as I road my usual evening training course I began to notice how I really wasn't feeling tired...my legs felt fresh. At ... Read More »