FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue Cranksets

4.8/5 (25 Reviews)

New for 2002, the Team Issue crankset takes carbon fiber technology to the next level. Featuring a one-piece crankarm and spider, this new crankset offers increased stiffness and strength, even over our Carbon Pro crankset. Available for Octalink, ISIS Drive, or ISO (Campagnolo) bottom brackets.

Submitted by Marcus75 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2006

Strengths:    Considerably cheaper than campy or Shimano high end cranks! Pretty light weight. Its cool looking. Shifts well with Shimano!

Weaknesses:    Non so far!

Bottom Line:
This is a considerable upgrade from my Ulegra crankset. Since I bought a high end carbon frame, this compliments it perfectly. It works smoothly with my Ultegra 9 speed and its pretty stiff. I'm 200lb and can hammer this out of the gate with ease! I road over 1000 miles and no problem.

Favorite Ride:   Solvang Century

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Ultegra crank

Bike Setup:   Look 585 frame, FSA K Force carbon stem, FSA K Wing Handlebar, Mavic Kysium ELite wheelset, Dura Ace Pedals, Alien USE Carbon seatpost, Michellin Carbon Tires,

Submitted by AJS a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2005

Strengths:    ~ Lower weight/less filling than some (not all) Al cranksets.
~ Looks good/tastes good.
~ Not obscenely expensive like some other CF cranks.
~ Withstand my bulk, so they'll probably handle yours.

Weaknesses:    ~ Q is eFFed compared to Campy.

Bottom Line:
I've been using these since Sep. '04 with a TruVative Giga Pipe Team SL BB and have around 2k miles on them. I use 175mm crankarms & and currently 52/39. I weigh a little over 200 lbs. and I wouldn't say there's a "huge" difference in stiffness over Campy's Record BB & Al cranks or TruVativ's Al Elita & BB. To be honest, I think of these 3, the Elita's felt the most crisp and responsive under my legs than the other 2. But all 3 were mounted on different bikes so the different BB shells and frame stiffness would come into play. It's all pretty subjective.

(BTW, a plug for Sam at Greenfish on the FSA's- great guy to deal with and if I told ya what I paid I'd have to kill ya.)

Biggest complaint I have - and this is just personal preference - is the wider Q-factor of the 108mm ISIS system. I've been used to riding Campy's tight 102mm BB's for so long that switching to another system has been a matter of adjustment, although there are still times when the wider Q is annoying. -1 for that in my book. YMMV.

Shifting with a Campy 10v drivetrain is very good, just a tad less quick and precise than Campy cranksets, nothing major to squawk about.

I would have liked the yellow graphics like their brother's the Superlights have instead of red. :-( But they look great otherwise.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Favorite Ride:   anything without traffic

Purchased At:   greenfishsports.com

Similar Products Used:   As mentioned above; Shimano Ultegra 9v, XT, & XTR; older cranks back in the days when I didn't care...

Bike Setup:   '03 Raleigh Professional 56cm w. Campy 10v.

Submitted by bcportlandrider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, price, value, no flex.

Weaknesses:    Clear coat may crack.

Bottom Line:
I bought these last year and waited to put up the review. This review is for the FSA Team Pro Carbon, ISIS bracket. Verdict: the best bang for your buck in carbon cranks. Much lighter than my 105s, and shifts great. One thing: when LBS installed them, the clear coat around the peddle cracked slightly. Called FSA and they said it's cosmetic and will not affect performance at all. Love em. You can probably get em for even less now that the new line has come out.

Purchased At:   ebay

Bike Setup:   KHS Flite 800

Submitted by push&pull a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2004

Strengths:    Good looks, they are stiff, easy to install with a octalink BB, and best of all alot cheaper than Campy carbon. Can get it for octalink or ISIS BB's.

Weaknesses:    None Really my duraace are sratched up, so the finish on the carbon is not a real factor.

Bottom Line:
OK let's be real. I like these cranks, for the money are the best carbon cranks on the market, and most of the racers in Italy and France are using them instead of campy. Why? Whoever thinks Campy is innovative should take a good look at their bootom bracket, it is still a narrow axle with a square taper, and is not as stiff as an isis (Fsa did not invent the isis. race face and tru vative got together to compete against the octalink because shimano wanted to much for the license ageeement) or an octalink. To be honest i really don't feel a difference between my Dura Ace 7700, and the FSA, and I am 200lbs. Maybe it's because I pull up on my pedal as much as I push down. At $1 more for every gram less than my Durace and a hell of a lot cheaper that the old school campy carbon it was worth it. They do look great, but when it comes down to it, the motor is still the most important part on the bike. Shifting is perfect. If you already have a Dura Ace and the Fsa seems like a great expence save your money and keep the shimanos, learn how to properly pull up on the pedal, it will make you a more efficient rider, and you'll notice your cranks will be stiffer.

Favorite Ride:   Up State NY

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Alluminum cranks, and they got stiffer all the time.

Bike Setup:   Fondriest top level and carb level. Shimano Dura Ace Drive train on both, Shimano DA crank on my climbing bike, and FSA pro on my carb which I sprint on and ride the flats with. Nothing like an all alluminum frame to climb on, even Armstrong was using an all allu. frme in the mountain stages of Le Tour de France.

Submitted by zr3000 a Recreational Rider from Anaheim Hills, CA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2003

Strengths:    Quality construction. Ultra light weight. Cool looks.

Weaknesses:    Jury still out on durability -- but expect no problems.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the '03 FSA Carbon Superlight crankset. Replaced my Dura Ace cranks with this carbon wonder. LBS did a great install with no BB problems. The cranks are super smooth with trouble-free shifting. The 100-gram weight reduction aids in climbing and sprints. Nothing but positive comments to add -- look cool also. (Ensure the installer reads the install instructions).

Favorite Ride:   Downhill with the wind at my back