FSA Energy Compact Cranksets

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

For excellent power transfer and light weight, FSA's Energy Compact Crankset boasts hollow, cold-forged aluminum crankarms. You also get precision...

Submitted by Aaron Lee a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2011

Strengths:    Value, stiffness, aesthetics

Weaknesses:    A little noisy

Bottom Line:
I'm so glad I switched from 53/39 to 50/34! I was able to go up hills with ease that I cramped on before. The FSA energy crank/BB is a great value. I replaced my Campy Centaur with it. It does cause my drivetrain to be a little noisier than with my centaur crankset. No problems with shifting though. Had my LBS install it: lower front deraileur 1/2 cm, make H/L adjustments, retension the chain. I think that was all that was required.

Purchased At:   Modernbike.com

Bike Setup:   Klein QPro XV 2005

Submitted by tedfava a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2010

Strengths:    Price, stiffness, looks

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Decided to switch out my 53/39 for a compact crank after a battle with Beech Mountain. 50/34 compact gives me the gearing I need to battle rolling hills and mountain passes. Stiff crank set with good power transfer both in and out of the saddle. Have had no issues with paint chipping or chain jump. If you have well tuned components and a chain that is not stretched you will have no problems. Love the crank set and really enjoy the compact gearing (should have done this long ago!).

Favorite Ride:   Hills of W. NC

Purchased At:   RnR

Similar Products Used:   TruVativ Rouleur carbon crank set

Bike Setup:   Bianchi 928, SRAM Rival Components

Submitted by cthomas a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2006

Strengths:    MegaExo. Nicer styling. Looks sharp.

Weaknesses:    Super pro chainrings are noisy. Powdercoat chips easily. BB spindle seems too short. Instructions need improvement.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the NEW FSA Energy Compact MegaExo. I wanted to upgrade my crankset, and while I wanted a Campy Carbon CT I was concerned about the construction holding up to my 6'5" 250lbs. I liked my Energy crankset, so this seemed a good (if a little pricey) upgrade.

First off, the new look is much sleeker than the original blocky shape of the Energy. Extra style points here. The downside is the FSA powdercoat is just as weak as ever. I nicked mine before I ever got it installed. FSA, I love your products, but work on this one.

This crank also comes with the new "super pro" semi-solid chainrings that are the upgrade for the new Shimano 10 compatability. (I ride Campy, so I don't care about this). Look great, but VERY "tinny". Just cranking it on my workstand I couldn't believe how loud this seemed. It was like I could hear every link in the chain. I swapped back to the standard FSA rings. The noise went away. So, these get an A for style, but a D for functionality.

Now on to the good things. The MegaExo is a terrific design and very easy to install. The BB outboard bearings installed easily, and the crank is extremely easy to install. I also like that the torque requirements are printed on the left crank and the tightening cap. Nice. What is not clear are the instructions for installation, especially the use of the couple of washers with rubber sides. One big one and one small one. It was only after some digging and web research that I figured it out. The big one is a spacer if needed on the DS, and the small one goes NDS. There is also a little green "cap", and I still don't know what it does. I think it is to check the facing of your BB, but I have no idea.

The other thing that was a little disconcerting was that when installed the left side crank still has about .75 cm gap as the BB spindle does not seem long enough. This surprised me. It is still very solid, but I would have expected this to be longer and mate up at or close to the outer edge of the crank.

Once installed (with my old rings) the crankset rides great. It does not turn as freely as the old Ultegra BB, but that is not noticable at normal rpms. The biggest thing I noticed was that I can't see the big chainring move back and forth under load anymore. This pretty much eliminated an derailleur rub in the front.

Overall this crank is nice, but not worth the upgrade from the normal ISIS or Octalink version. Especially not at $200.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere flat

Purchased At:   cadence cycle

Similar Products Used:   Misc. Shimano Octalink cranks. FSA Energy, Carbon Pro, and Gossamer cranks.

Bike Setup:   Custom Seven Alaris. Handbuilt DT Swiss wheelset, Campy Chorus, Speedplay pedals.

Submitted by atpjunkie a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2006

Strengths:    stiff, strong, shifts well. I'm a Clydesdale and I ride hard, she's put up with my abuse just fine.

Weaknesses:    sometimes get chain drop on downshifts but I'm more inclined to blame the front derailleur.

Bottom Line:
Was building up a 2nd Cross Bike that I was going to also use as a commuter. Figured with a compact I could have a big enough gear to raod ride, could swith easily to a 48 for cross racing and have a 34 for hillier cross courses.
it's done all that without a complaint.

Favorite Ride:   my dirty little secret (that's it's name)

Purchased At:   can't recall

Similar Products Used:   None,first compact road crank, have used more standard and MTB cranks than I care to type

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Cross Concept, Shimano Ultegra STI/brake lever and Mechs. Empella Frogglegg Brakes,Salsa top Mount levers.
50-34 or 48-34 rings, 12-27 Ultegra cassette Mavic Classic SCC tubulars with Challenge Grifos or Tufo Elite Tubs (dirt) Mavic K's Road. Thompson Post, Selle Italia saddle (in Celeste) Deda Newton Bar and Stem 31.6 clamp.

Submitted by pde a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2006

Strengths:    Not impractically macho like a regular double. Light. Stiff.

Weaknesses:    Shifting requires a lot of thought. A 30x39x52 would offer more natural rings for big hills x cruising x fast riding.

Bottom Line:
I got these cranks on my first racer type road bike (my daily ride is an old tourer) becuse it was simpler than switching all the bits for a triple crankset.

The Energy compacts are light and they feel great with some power going into them.

I'm not sure whether a compact was the right call at least for me though. I'm not an unfit cyclist (probably averaging close to 100km per week), but I've already found at least one hill that I could only climb with rest breaks (White Hill Rd, only 170m but 7.5% gradient) running 34 x 26. And there are steeper climbs that one might meet! Will see whether I get better at this game with more time on these wheels, but I'm used to spinning a granny touring gear, and this is less fun.

The other problem with a 34x50 w/ 12-26 is that there's an awkward gearing zone in the mid 20kph region. The small ring only gets the bottom 5 gears or so (maybe +1 with trimming).

This is more noticeable in urban environments than on the open road. But in those conditions front shifting has to happen frequently and creates big gear jumps. Double shifting (front and back at the same time) helps, but managing that and trimming this requires both practice and attention that distracts from the pleasure of riding.

Lastly, I already have a pair of chipped teeth on the big ring after a few hundred km. Not sure of the cause though; it might not have been the crank's fault :).

Favorite Ride:   a new one with hills, trees and no cars

Purchased At:   w/ bike online

Similar Products Used:   None really (touring and mtb triple cranksetes; a cheapo 42 x 52 double)

Bike Setup:   2005 klein q-pro v (found a great closeout)

Chain rub with FSA Compact Energy and Dura-ace

I just coverted my Fondreist to an ISIS FSA Energy Crankset (and FSA P Pro BB) from a non-compact Dura Ace Octalink set up. I have a short cage RD and a DA front derailor and notice significant chain rub in the small chain ring and the 3 smallest cogs. Has anyone else had this problem? Have a fix? ... Read More »

Impact compact vs. Energy: opinions?

I'm going to get a compact double crank, and I've seen the Stronglight Impact ($108 at bikpartsUSA) and the FSA Energy ($124, AEbike). Any opinions? The Ritchey is closely priced as well at $126. The Impact is slightly heavier, but I like the closer ratio of 36/50. Also, any opinions on the Str ... Read More »

FSA Energy compact vs. FSA Carbon compact

Hi all, Just joined the forum and after searching the archives looking for an answer I am still at a loss. But I made a phone call to FSA and I think I have found the answer I was looking for and I thought I would share. A lot has been written about the new compact cranksets and I'm about to b ... Read More »

FSA compact energy chainline

I have the FSA compact energy cranks with the isis BB on my Trek 5200. I have chain rub on the 50 chainring in the 11 and 12 of a 11-23 cassette using my 34 chainring which I'm seeing is normal. I visited my LBS that sold me the crankset to see if there was any solution so that I could at least us ... Read More »

Any difference between FSA Energy and Gossamer compact cranks?...or Nashbar??

Does anyone know if there's any difference between the FSA Energy compact crankset and the FSA Gossamer crankset? I have a set of standard Gossamer cranks and they seem pretty nice (though the black finish is coming off in some places), but I can't tell if there's much of a difference between the G ... Read More »