FSA Gossamer Compact Cranksets

2.9/5 (49 Reviews)

Gossamer New Ergo feature a high stiffness-to-weight ratio.....

Submitted by Fanboy82 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2015

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Cheap and weak parts

Bottom Line:
I have had 2 new bikes in the last 6 months, a Cannondale CAADX Tiagra which got returned as the top chain ring snapped whilst riding after 2 weeks, I then upgraded my bike to the CAADX 105, still fitted with the FSA Gossamer Compact set, 10 weeks in (during that time I didn't ride for 3 weeks due to a new baby in the house) the same issue has happened, the top chain ring has bent this morning, I had FSA triple on my previous road bike which I rode for 5 years with no issue.

I notice people have had issues with chains dropping, I too experienced this for the past few weeks, especially if I try to pull away from traffic lights etc in the top chain ring

My bike is cleaned weekly and chain lubed after every ride, I mainly ride to work and back, 90% roads and 15 miles a day so this is not due to parts wearing out.

I would strongly suggest looking at different cranks than these.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAADX Tiagra and Cannondale CAADX 105

Submitted by Freddy Chew

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2012

Strengths:    I was impressed by the look of the design when my mechanic (authorize FSA distributor) help me to setup my New purchased Cervelo P1.

Weaknesses:    Surprising, first try out riding for the first kilometers, I notice that, when I do a back pedaling back to get the pedals ready, the chains will drop off from the crankset. try out a few times and the problem exist. Rode back to my mechanic for assistance. Examine and check it out, they informed me that the crankset is "warp ". For goodwill they loan me a used set of Shimano Ultegra.
Checked with Cervelo HQ. they refer me to FSA. FSA Singapore refer my case and says. Sorry refer back to distributor or Cervelo. Sad to hear that. Therefore I have to bare with it. Looks like I will no more in the future purchase bike from Cervelo and any other FSA parts.

Bottom Line:
Poor services. Not able to provide warranty for it own new products. No principal of its business and so called quality products

Submitted by Niall Smart

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2012

Strengths:    - work fine for a week

Weaknesses:    - FSA BB creaks like hell after a week
- poorly machined (will not fit Shimano BB)
- shifting performance is not great

Bottom Line:
My 2012 Bianchi Infinito came fitted with these. The BB started to creak after about a week. A trip to the bike shop reduced but didn't eliminate the noise. I purchased and fitted a new Shimano SM-BB7900, but the crank diameter is machined too large and they won't fit through the Shimano BB. Junk.

Submitted by Pirate.tth a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight.
Replaceable chainrings.

Weaknesses:    Not carbon like the rest of my bike.

Bottom Line:
Have ridden 500 miles in 6 weeks, no problems with the Gossamer MegaExo that came on my bike (Argon 18 Arsenic) to speak of. Had the derailleurs adjusted (Shimano 105) after first 300 miles, as the gear changes were taking a while, (it is normal to have to make at least a half of a revolution of the crank arms while shifting, as the chain needs to be moved by the derailleur one tooth at a time from one chainring to the other. The chain doesn't just instantly jump from one chainring to the other), since then the shifting has been hard and fast. It sounds like many of the problems others are having are caused either by poor installation and/or maintenance of either the crank or the derailleur. As for broken teeth, stop running into rocks.

I lube the chain every 30-60 miles, before going for a ride.

I would like to change chainring size from the 46/36 to either a 50/34 or a 53/39 to get some more top end, as I usually seem to be using the 46 chainring with the 15/14/12 cogs at 30+ mph, with no squeaking, creaking or groaning coming from the crank, just from my knees.

Favorite Ride:   Paths in Floodway

Purchased At:   Bikes & Beyond

Bike Setup:   Argon 18 Arsenic with Shimano 105 shifter/brake levers, derailluers and cassette, Avid brakes, and FSA bars, stem and crank.

Submitted by forrest

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2012

Strengths:    haven't found any

Weaknesses:    i bought a caad10 5 and this is the worst part on it. i have had it for one month and have already broken off 10 teeth of the top chain ring. i work very hard not to cross chain and i am telling you it is not why they broke. i have put tops 1000 miles on it. o and it started squeaking after the first week. i am a bit over weight at 180 pounds and i would like to mention in all fairness my wife has the same crank and only weighs 120 pounds and she has not had any ware to speak of . so maby if your on the lighter side this is a great deal. however i am having to go with somthing of a higher quality.

Bottom Line:
if your on the heavy side you should pass. if you have the money spend it on a better crank. in the long run it will save you money.