FSA Gossamer Compact Cranksets

2.94/5 (48 Reviews)

Gossamer New Ergo feature a high stiffness-to-weight ratio.....

Submitted by Freddy Chew

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2012

Strengths:    I was impressed by the look of the design when my mechanic (authorize FSA distributor) help me to setup my New purchased Cervelo P1.

Weaknesses:    Surprising, first try out riding for the first kilometers, I notice that, when I do a back pedaling back to get the pedals ready, the chains will drop off from the crankset. try out a few times and the problem exist. Rode back to my mechanic for assistance. Examine and check it out, they informed me that the crankset is "warp ". For goodwill they loan me a used set of Shimano Ultegra.
Checked with Cervelo HQ. they refer me to FSA. FSA Singapore refer my case and says. Sorry refer back to distributor or Cervelo. Sad to hear that. Therefore I have to bare with it. Looks like I will no more in the future purchase bike from Cervelo and any other FSA parts.

Bottom Line:
Poor services. Not able to provide warranty for it own new products. No principal of its business and so called quality products

Submitted by Niall Smart

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2012

Strengths:    - work fine for a week

Weaknesses:    - FSA BB creaks like hell after a week
- poorly machined (will not fit Shimano BB)
- shifting performance is not great

Bottom Line:
My 2012 Bianchi Infinito came fitted with these. The BB started to creak after about a week. A trip to the bike shop reduced but didn't eliminate the noise. I purchased and fitted a new Shimano SM-BB7900, but the crank diameter is machined too large and they won't fit through the Shimano BB. Junk.

Submitted by Pirate.tth a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight.
Replaceable chainrings.

Weaknesses:    Not carbon like the rest of my bike.

Bottom Line:
Have ridden 500 miles in 6 weeks, no problems with the Gossamer MegaExo that came on my bike (Argon 18 Arsenic) to speak of. Had the derailleurs adjusted (Shimano 105) after first 300 miles, as the gear changes were taking a while, (it is normal to have to make at least a half of a revolution of the crank arms while shifting, as the chain needs to be moved by the derailleur one tooth at a time from one chainring to the other. The chain doesn't just instantly jump from one chainring to the other), since then the shifting has been hard and fast. It sounds like many of the problems others are having are caused either by poor installation and/or maintenance of either the crank or the derailleur. As for broken teeth, stop running into rocks.

I lube the chain every 30-60 miles, before going for a ride.

I would like to change chainring size from the 46/36 to either a 50/34 or a 53/39 to get some more top end, as I usually seem to be using the 46 chainring with the 15/14/12 cogs at 30+ mph, with no squeaking, creaking or groaning coming from the crank, just from my knees.

Favorite Ride:   Paths in Floodway

Purchased At:   Bikes & Beyond

Bike Setup:   Argon 18 Arsenic with Shimano 105 shifter/brake levers, derailluers and cassette, Avid brakes, and FSA bars, stem and crank.

Submitted by forrest

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2012

Strengths:    haven't found any

Weaknesses:    i bought a caad10 5 and this is the worst part on it. i have had it for one month and have already broken off 10 teeth of the top chain ring. i work very hard not to cross chain and i am telling you it is not why they broke. i have put tops 1000 miles on it. o and it started squeaking after the first week. i am a bit over weight at 180 pounds and i would like to mention in all fairness my wife has the same crank and only weighs 120 pounds and she has not had any ware to speak of . so maby if your on the lighter side this is a great deal. however i am having to go with somthing of a higher quality.

Bottom Line:
if your on the heavy side you should pass. if you have the money spend it on a better crank. in the long run it will save you money.

Submitted by Tony Torres

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2012

Strengths:    Unable to tell.

Weaknesses:    Cheap

Bottom Line:
I bought a new road bike yesterday and went out for a nice easy ride. The crank shaft fell apart after 30 min of riding the bike. I have the FSG Gossamer (had-come tomorrow) and don't think i would purchase this product again based on my first interaction. This is my first road bike and i'm new to biking. First impression are lasting ones!

FSA Gossamer compact crank, which BB?

Picked up one of these relatively cheap for a refurb to an older bike that I have owned for about 12 years. My Ti bike has a Shimano external BB crank that is a compact also, but I don't recall much of the install as I had the shop do it after I realized I could err by not having the proper install ... Read More »

FSA Gossamer MegaExo Compact crank bearing re-work.

I recently bought a Kona Jake the Snake that came with FSA Gossamer MegaExo Compact cranks. There is nothing I hate more than seal drag in a bottom bracket and this particular set has that. I first experienced bottom bracket seal drag during the era of the ISIS bottom bracket. Most of the ISIS botto ... Read More »

Any difference between FSA Energy and Gossamer compact cranks?...or Nashbar??

Does anyone know if there's any difference between the FSA Energy compact crankset and the FSA Gossamer crankset? I have a set of standard Gossamer cranks and they seem pretty nice (though the black finish is coming off in some places), but I can't tell if there's much of a difference between the G ... Read More »