FSA K-Force Carbon Cranksets

2.06/5 (51 Reviews)

The K-Force Light platform is FSA's top component tier, and now they're offering an BB386 EVO version of the crankset. It will fit any of the new crop of bike frames designed around this intriguing new bottom bracket standard. The FSA K-Force Light BB386 EVO Crankset is 26 grams lighter than the SL-K version. Suprisingly, it's also lighter than its BB30 counterpart.Among the benefits of BB386 is the larger diameter, stiffer spindle. At 30mm, it's the same diameter as a BB30 spindle. The big difference between them is that the BB386 spindle is longer to allow its use in a bottom bracket shell width of 86mm. FSA uses a low speed extrusion to form the 7075 alloy spindle before they machine it to its final shape. It is co-molded into the 5-arm spider on the drive side arm. The composite spider is hollow to save precious extra grams, as are the crankarms. FSA molds a transverse rib into each hollow crankarm. It's an exacting process, but worth it since it increases the torsional rigidity -- you'll appreciate the rock-solid feel when you stomp on the pedals. FSA employs T-30 Torx internal wrenching alloy fasteners for the chainrings bolts. Though more difficult to produce, this type of hardware ensures that you can torque the fasteners properly without the worry of stripped bolts because of a sloppy interface with the tools. A tight fit and snug fasteners means less power-robbing flex and decreased chance for strange creaking noises to develop.The FSA K-Force Light BB386 EVO Crankset is a top choice whether you're interested in a standard 53/39t or a compact 50/34t chainring configuration. It has a 3K carbon weave finish on the hollow carbon fiber crankarms. FSA uses bold graphics on the arms to make a visual tie with the Black anodized, CNC machined 7075 aluminum chainrings. They're ramped and pinned to ensure smooth shifting. It's compatible with all 10-speed road shifting systems. We also sell FSA produced Campagnolo 11-speed compatible chainrings which can be fitted to this crankset. Three crankarm lengths are available -- 170, 172.5, and 175mm.

Submitted by Andy Harvey

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2014

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    poor quality, design fault

Bottom Line:
I am in total agreement with the other reviews. My Cannondale Supersix came fitted with FSA SLK Light crankset. 10000km and the left pedal insert came loose. Almost impossible to get a response from FSA regarding their claimed 2 yr warranty. In the end I got a new FSA KForce Light crank for half price. Still more expensive than a Shimano option!
If this second one fails I will be most annoyed. For this sort of price and technology you expect a better quality AND a better service from the supplier.

Submitted by Brian Fleming

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2014

Strengths:    Looks great, light.

Weaknesses:    Same problem as with other users. The peddle insert worked loose on the first crank I purchased, and I thought that they had probably heard about this issue, and though they would fix it on the next generation FSA K-Force Carbon. I foolishly purchased the FSA K-Force Carbon and the problem returned. This is not a warranty problem, it is bad design. There is absolutely no excuse for this to happen, when all they have to do is redesign the aluminum insert.

I am not Fabian Cancellara, If this can happen to me, it can happen to anyone. A crank costing 500 bucks should not fail like this.

Bottom Line:
I have not tried customer support yet, but from reading previous posts, it is probably a waste of time.

Submitted by roadphil a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight and sexy looking

Weaknesses:    Poorly constructed - Pedal inserts failed. Very Very Poor Customer service!!

Bottom Line:
My K-Force crank has been banished to a box in my garage for over 5 years due to pedal inserts failing. It had less than 2000 miles of light too moderate duty and no racing. I have two friends that had the same issue. We all were told the crank would not be warrantied. I'm still speechless over the customer service rep stating that it was designed to have a short lifespan and I was out of luck. So was the owner of my shop when he called them. Additionally, all other FSA products that were spec'd on my bike failed and have been replaced with Easton.

Favorite Ride:   Giant Formula One

Similar Products Used:   Dura Ace

Bike Setup:   Shimano Dura Ace group set with Easton wheels, handlebars, stem and seat post

Submitted by Scott V.

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2013

Strengths:    It's carbon, light, looks great, feels nice when using.

Weaknesses:    I live near FSA customer support. Before this I had the SL-K which was carbon over aluminum. The rings are nice but the unit as a whole is junk.

Bottom Line:
I don't plan on using any FSA chainsets in the future. This unit was crap. When I tried to get it straightened away, FSA tech support told me I had it all wrong and that I was assembling it wrong!!! It turns out, which I had to determine MYSELF, that the aluminum piece at the arm-center that connects to the spindle had separated from the carbon arm. This caused a repeatable 1mm shift of the arm forward every time it was reloaded by pedaling. Crap! I was totally insulted by the WORTHLESS tech support at FSA and they are virtually in my own neighborhood. They are not earning their pay. They are are not qualified in the least to support the product. They exhibit an inability to troubleshoot, they're irritable, and they are rude. They have no business providing tech support whatsover. I never asked for anything but some troubleshooting guidance and discussion of KNOWN issues. They failed on all accounts. Some young whipper-snapper talking to me like I was born yesterday! I was riding road bikes long before they were even born. If you would like to add insult to likely injury, buy one of these and when it fails, call FSA tech support. They could not have been ANY WORSE. I bought a Shimano chainset and couldn't be happier at a fraction of the bling...the engineering is there - it is designed to stay together and not let you down. The SL-K I rode for at least 15k miles with plenty of maintenance. The K-force was unusable after 500 miles.

Submitted by LoneSharkie

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2012

Strengths:    Looks.
Worked well for about 7k miles.

Weaknesses:
Not as stiff as high-end aluminum cranks.
Broke at 7k miles.

Bottom Line:
Any one have any luck getting replacement arms or a full crank replacement from FSA? I would avoid, as my crank also succumbed to pedal insert cracking/breaking issue from a not so hard snap out. Is it worth even trying to deal with FSA?