FSA SL-K Light BB-30 Cranksets

3.86/5 (7 Reviews)

FSA SLK Light BB30 Road Crankset: Features all the advantages of the BB30 system: lighter, stiffer and more durable. Requires a BB30 specific bottom bracket shell/frame...

Submitted by pbr rider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2010

Strengths:    absolutly none

Weaknesses:    the crank arms fall off if your a strong pedaler, of which I don't consider myself one

Bottom Line:
these cranksets are weak and should be avioded. 2 times now my left crank arm has come off mid ride and left me high and dry. Maybe the 1st time, the bolt was to tight (bought from bikes direct) and it brook as I was climbing, so be it, but the 2nd time, I have to write this review to warn anyone who's doing their homework. The 2nd time it broke had nothing todo w/ torque on tightening, but it just came loose and fell off causing a false step and almost falling. I do not trust the product anymore and feel I should not have to check it before each time I decide to ride. It was no more that 300 to 400 miles b/w the first failure and 2nd. I'm swithing to Shimano, and will know i have a quality product.

Favorite Ride:   marin

Purchased At:   bikes direct

Similar Products Used:   switching to shimano

Submitted by MMile1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, nice looking.

Bottom Line:
Great product. Very stiff and light, and BB30 is much better than the old standard. I am a large rider, 6 foot 4 and about 195lbs. They are very responsive to my sprints.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale CAAD 10

Similar Products Used:   FSA Vero, Shimano 105.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD 10- FSA SLK light 53/39 crankset, full ultegra drivetrain, FSA SLK stem, FSA SLK carbon seat post, Mavic Aksium race wheelset, LOOK KEO 2 Max Carbon pedals.

Submitted by ColoColo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, light.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
So far, very impressed. I have to say that you can feel the weight changes from the Gossamer my Felt had when I bought it. Very stiff. I do sprint intervals and I have not seeing the problems other reviewers pointed out. I bought the 175 over the Gossamer's 172.5". Of course, compact cranks.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere in Puerto Rico with my friends...

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra, Gossamer.

Bike Setup:   Felt F-5 2011 Deda stem, American Classics 420's. FSA SL-K BB30 crankset, Selle San Marco and stock Shimano 105.

Submitted by rider68 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2010

Strengths:    Strong / stiff and light. Good looks.

Weaknesses:    Not as light as K-Force or SRAM Red. On the expansive side.

Bottom Line:
SLK-light megaexo compact crank mated to SRAM Rival drivetrain works very nicely. Smooth but stiff and very responsive. Very rapid shifting 34/50 and reliable.

Favorite Ride:   Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve

Similar Products Used:   Kuota k-03,

Submitted by M. Talbot a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    Good looks.
Light.

Weaknesses:    If you srint hard or are above 190 it will "squeak" at first...then let go.

Bottom Line:
If you make power or are a big rider get rid of this cranset. It will fail. Soon. Especially if you do a lot of sprint interval. I am not biased against FSA Stuff. I love their components mostly. I am just trying to save someone the frustrations I had.

Favorite Ride:   System Six

Similar Products Used:   Same crank one and broke it thouight it was a fluke. Look at most pro sprinters. They run aluminum cranks for good reason.