FSA SL-K Light Cranksets

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

FSA (Full Speed Ahead) SL-K Light BB30 Crank/Bottom Brackets Sets are lighter, narrower, stiffer and more durable than traditional bottom bracket systems. Oversized alloy spindles and bearings pressed directly into the BB shell offer weight savings up to 12%.

- Hollow monocoque composite crank arm
• Low speed extruded A7050 spindle
WEIGHT WITHOUT BB
• 640 g

Submitted by alba831 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2010

Strengths:    Fairly light. The new design is cooler looking than the one I had.

Weaknesses:    Design flaw created that weird issue. It happened over and over, we'd get it slightly better, and then it'd start happening again. You just can't have equipment on your bike that isn't reliable.

Bottom Line:
After a race the Thule rack that my bike was secured to had a fatal flaw and my racing bike went crashing into the ground at freeway speeds (note: it was pure product fail but Thule was terrible dealing with around compensating. I will never buy a Thule product again, and neither should you). The crankset was destroyed just like the rest of it. I had a K-Force Light before, and my bike shop suggested saving a few bucks and going with this slightly heavier model. Works for me.

For the most part the crankset was totally fine, but from the get-go I had this one weird issue. When I went to shift from the big chain ring to the little chain ring, the chain would move over but then not "set." It would just float on the top of the teeth of the small ring as I pedaled. I'd spin and try to get it onto the teeth so that I could actually pedal, but I'd have to get off and manually push it over. Crap.

I had the shop work on it a number of times as both of us thought it was just a matter of dialing it in. Unfortunately it wasn't; it was essentially a miniscule design weakness. As time went on they saw more and more of this situation with FSA cranks. After this happened in a race and took me out (luckily not crashing though), I took the cranks off and replaced them with a bombproof Ultegra set. I won't be buying FSA cranks again.

Favorite Ride:   Tunitas Creek

Purchased At:   Roaring Mouse Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Ultegra (2001 model and 2010 model), FSA K-Force Light, Campy Centaur, FSA Gossamer, Specialized somethingorother (came on a cx bike)

Submitted by Bthornburn a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight

Bottom Line:
Very light, stiff with great power transfer. No sense of loss of power on hills or sprinting from standing start. Shifting with Ultegra 6700 FD and chain is smooth and quiet. Grahics look awesome. 53/39 rings

Favorite Ride:   Everti Falcon