Race Face X-Type Cadence CX Cranksets

Our Cadence CX cranks are forged from 6066 aluminum for improved strength & fatigue resistance. Our unique, multi-stage forging process enables our designers to sculpt an incredibly weight efficient crank while also altering the grain structure of the alloy to increase fatigue resistance. Race Face’s signature I-Beam profiling is used on our Cadence crank for improved stiffness & strength. Our proprietary milling process on the chainring tabs ensures no axial run out for precise shifting.

Submitted by Jim Thurber a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2010

Strengths:    * Weight
* Gearing

Weaknesses:    * Rumored bottom bracket weakness (none noted so far)

Bottom Line:
This replaced the XT (44/32/22) triple on my steel (SOMA) touring bike. Originally installed with the existing XT Hollowtech II bottom bracket, it never quite bottomed out correctly and I swapped it for the (included) Race Face bracket. So far, so good. It's smooth and the gearing is perfect for the riding I do. I suppose this is more a recommendation for a compact chainset / crank moreso then one for Race Face, although I found the quality to be quite good and the price was awesome.

Favorite Ride:   Portola Valley / Coast Range

Purchased At:   Wiggle (England)

Similar Products Used:   Dura Ace Compact (expensive!); Tiagra; XT mountain and Ultegra (triple).

Bike Setup:   SOMA frame, Velocity rims, Woods hubs, 11 x 36 cassette, XTR rear derailleur, Dura Ace front derailleur, XTR pedals, Thomson seatpost and Brooks saddle. Dura-Ace brakes.