Shimano 105 Triple FC-5603 Cranksets

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

• 10 Rear Speeds
  • 130mm/74mm PCD
  • Splined Crank
  • Minimal bearing interface for smoother rolling
  • DUAL SIS compatible

Submitted by Little Bunny Foo Foo a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2009

Strengths:    Affordable for a 2 peice crankset

Weaknesses:    Finish scratches easily, chainrings appear to wear out quickly due to the aluminum construction. Bearings are not servicable.

Bottom Line:
Seems to do it's job well. I never hear any creaks and the construction is solid. It easily goes together, but does require special tools to properly install them. Sealed bearings are easy to deal with, but occasionally I like to get dirty with my bike and clean up every moving part. I can't do this with this or any modern BB cartridge, though. Be aware that the aluminum chainrings really wear out quickly compared to steel ones. My steel chainringed bikes would never stretch chains (then again, I was weaker then and my commuter bike doesn't get the pounding that this bike takes), but it seems that I'm getting about .25% or so of stretch every 500 miles. I constantly swap through 3 chains at a time to get more milage out of my sprockets and chainrings, then replace them all at once, but I've yet to do this on any of my other equipment. I'll probably be replacing the outer and middle chain rings, new chains and new cassette once spring comes around. That will be right around 6,000 miles on the crankset.

Favorite Ride:   Outside and warm

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Lots of 3 peice cranks off older bikes and the stock FSA cheapie on this bike.

Bike Setup:   Felt F90 setup for triathlon use.

Submitted by JolietJake a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2008

Strengths:    Excelent durability without any noticible flex even under a heavyweight rider. Great value for the money.

Weaknesses:    I agree with the previous review that the finish scratches somewhat easily.

Bottom Line:
I bought this with the fc5600 (Shimano 105 Series) bottom bracket. This crankset is extremely firm and doesn't creak or bend under heavy pressure. I'm 275# and am therefore very hard on drivetrain parts.

Favorite Ride:   Downhill with a tail wind.

Purchased At:   LBS in Japan

Similar Products Used:   Various square taper BB's and cranksets.

Bike Setup:   Trek 7.3 FX w/ Shimano 105 Series crankset and BB. Shimano pd-M540 pedals.

Submitted by JSupan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2006

Strengths:    Really smoothed out my pedal stroke and improved out-of-saddle efforts.

Weaknesses:    Finish scuffs easily

Bottom Line:
Purchased through and installed by LBS. Using with 10spd chain and 9spd cassette. HollowTech crank arms, pipe spindle and exterior bearing cups great improvement over tapered spindle BB and Tiagra cranks that came with the bike.

Favorite Ride:   Crescent City Century