Shimano Dura-Ace FC-7800 Cranksets

4.73/5 (30 Reviews)

• Store Price

The new Dura-Ace 7800 crankset / bottom bracket combo is perhaps the most striking change that Shimano has made to the Dura-Ace group.

Submitted by sigmabannysigma a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff
Durable
Light
Good looking

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Closing in on 30 thousand miles with this crankset and it's still going strong.

Favorite Ride:   You Momma

Purchased At:   Your Momma's bed.

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra
Easton EC 90 (total crap)

Bike Setup:   You should know b/c your momma bought it for me.

Submitted by specializedman a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff, superior shifting and build quality.

Weaknesses:    A bit of a weight penalty over my old crankset. Chainrings cost more than many cranksets.

Bottom Line:
Got this crank free with new warranty frame, an upgrade from the specialized pro carbon bb30 crank.

A bit heavier but over all better is my thoughts on this crank, about 100gr heavier than the old crank but much stiffer and the chainrings are incredible!
Shifting is much quicker and smoother now.

The only problem is the Chainrings are super expensive so I use an ultegra 52t big ring when I need to restrict my gears for junior racing, The DA 53t go's back on straight away when I'm done though. These chain rings make every other Shimano chain ring look vastly inferior.

I also like the fact that shimano uses normal sized, good quality chain ring bolts etc for ease of chaning chain rings. with my old crank there was a T26? bolt on one side an a 7mm allen key on the other, needless to say i quickly wrecked the bolts because I didnt have the correct tool to undo them (and I have a few tools!)

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 5600, Ultegra SL, Specialized Pro carbon crankset.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tarmac SL Pro, DA 7800, Easton Ea90tt, Reynolds SDV66C.

Submitted by Nicholas Ian Tyson a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2009

Strengths:    OH,You will pay alot... for nothing!

Weaknesses:    Shimano can & will put a price on crap, & because the pro-cyclist & there name, in will be sold. cause it looks KOOL!

Bottom Line:
Shimano DURA-ACE 7800 Crankset/BB...
My Girl friend got a Kestrel AirFoil PRO, Kool right, yes or no?
We did a Olympic distance triathlon in Farmington,NM. Yeah for dry heat!
After the race, Jill"my girl" said her BB or crank arm were starting to make sounds.
So we took the bikeshops:
1 Cortez,CO-NOTHING.
3 Durango,CO-NOTHING.
1 Provo,UT-NOTHING.

My girl could have injury her self or worst.

I am upgradeing her to a FSA SLK Mega Carbon Fiber crankset/BB, Ebay.com/$120.00/free shipping

Favorite Ride:   Kestrel AirFoil PRO

Purchased At:   Nytrio.com

Similar Products Used:   brakes, Rims

Submitted by Bernie a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2008

Strengths:    Super stiff. Nice looking.

Weaknesses:    Can break. Photos to prove it if asked for..

Bottom Line:
Without doubt a very stiff crankset which transmits power straight out the back but..and this is where it gets interesting, these cranks snapped under load at the point of contact with the spider and the axle ! The cranks were purchased second hand with 10,000 miles on them but showed no sign of crash damage or cracking.. Due to them not being bought brand new there is no claim to a warranty..

Favorite Ride:   Steeper the better

Purchased At:   Second hand

Similar Products Used:   Sugino, Campy record, 105, Ultegra, FSA K force, Durace.

Bike Setup:   Full carbon with Durace group set.

Submitted by android a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff, no flex, rigid, solid. Looks great too. Shifts well. Easy to install and pretty light.

Weaknesses:    I don't like the fact that the mounting bolts are open to be sweated on.

Bottom Line:
So, this was the first 10 speed component I upgraded on my existing all Dura Ace 9 speed bike. And I didn't really get it for performance reasons, only because my existing crank looked like crap from corrosion.

But the minute after I bolted it on and took it for a test ride, I knew that this crank was about more than looks. It was SOLID like a rock under me and front derailleur rubbing is a thing of the past. On hill, mashing, whatever, this crank is there like the earth under your feet. The rings shift great too.

This is by far the best component of the DA 10 group. I ended up buying one for my Cervelo also.

Favorite Ride:   Central TX Hill Country

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   DA 7 speed, 8 speed, 9 speed cranks.

Bike Setup:   Custom Spectrum Steel road with DA 10