Shimano Dura Ace FC-7950 Cranksets

Shimano proves again that alloy cranks aren't dead. Stiffer and lighter than previous Dura-Ace. Hollow chainring and Hollowtech II crankarms. Aluminum axle. Not compatible with 7800 series components. 654g 5339 172.5mm.Bottom bracket not included.

Submitted by rashoop a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff
Light
Elegant looking
Get a gear back!

Weaknesses:    Even at the price I paid, it's a bit expensive. I'm just hoping the chainrings last.

Bottom Line:
Incredibly stiff, and with DA shifters, derailleurs and chain... perfect shifts and quiet!
BUT, the best part to me is that I get a gear back. What I mean by this is that I used to cross-chain when in my 34 x 12 combo (lowest cog being an 11). Not anymore - it's silent. I've even found myself in a 34 x 11 (accidentally) and it's still quiet. No more loss of a gear penalty for compact crank users. Great going Shimano!

Favorite Ride:   Santiago Canyon

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Campy, Sugino, TruVativ, etc.

Bike Setup:   Good stuff

Submitted by centralcoastbuc a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2009

Strengths:    Very stiff, no creaks, looks great.

Weaknesses:    Outrageous price. Now that an Ultegra version is available, I would recommend going that route.

Bottom Line:
Purchased this to replace an Shimano R700 compact crank. Wanted a stiffer and quieter crank. I am a large rider.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano R700.

Bike Setup:   Calfee Tetra Pro with DA 7800 Setup except for crank.

Submitted by Steve Williams a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2009

Strengths:    Great looking, light and very very stiff. Works with the 7800/7900 BB and the King BB.

Weaknesses:    Very hard to find. Price is outrageous!

Bottom Line:
Love compact cranks. Wanted the D/A piece to replace my 7800 53/39. Works with the 7800/7900 BB and the King BB. I have put about 500 miles on it so far. I am a heavy rider (225) with strong legs. Stiffness is everything! Wasn't happy with the Shimano R700 crank due to creaking on climbs.

Purchased At:   Art's Cyclery, SLO