Shimano FC-R600 Cranksets

• Hyperdrive SG-X chainrings for best front shifting performance
  • 50-34T Gearing

Submitted by Zachariah a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2009

Strengths:    -Smooth, fast shifts in either direction
-Unbeatable price for integrated spindle/outboard bottom bracket technology
-Very direct power delivery/stiffness

Weaknesses:    -Too much metal on large ring - could use more machining to optimize weight
-Crank arms are solid - not hollow, like on FC-R700 Hollowtech II variant

Bottom Line:
The Shimano FC-R600 is a true 105-level crankset, for a Tiagra price.

Weighing in at 843 grams(cranks only), it is very fast-shifting compact double, thanks to the strategically-placed shift ramps and pins...found only on Ultegra and Dura Ace models.

The BEST THING about a 34/50 compact double is that you can run a lightweight 11/21 cassette AND stlll climb hills!

Favorite Ride:   State Hwy 74

Similar Products Used:   -Shimano Dura Ace FC-7800
-Shimano Ultegra FC-6600
-FSA Vero double 39/53

Bike Setup:   2009 Cannondale CAAD 9.7 - Mavic Ksyrium Elite, full Ultegra 6510 shifter/6600 groupset, Bontrager Blade Carbon compact bars, Shimano SPD-SL pedals, Selle Italia SLR saddle, Continental Grand Prix 4000s 700 x 23c tires....equals a 16lb road rocket

Submitted by Khuan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2008

Strengths:    Looks good, runs smoothly and silently, strong, affordable.

Weaknesses:    No Hollowtech technology and the compact nature of the crankset means I have to shift between the chainrings frequently.

Bottom Line:
My roadie is stocked with this crankset while Shimano 105 forms the rest of the groupset.

I think this crankset has been well made. It looks great and runs incredibly smoothly and silently.

Also, the shifting is very reliable. I think the special chain pick-up pins on the chainring really help a lot. From memory I've not yet had a mis-shift, slow shift and have not dropped my chain (don't jinx me!). I've had slow shifts many times on my mountain bike, which I think is due to the lack of the special pins.

One thing I find a bit irritating is that at the speed I travel I find myself frequently shifting between the 2 chainrings. This is not exclusive to this crankset, but to all compact cranksets. However, I still favor the compact because I need the lower gears for the hills.

The crankset seems to be strong, but I can't really tell coz I'm a novice. Having said that, I wish the FC-R600 incorporated the Hollowtech technology by Shimano. This is supposed to increase the stiffness of the crankarms whilst also reducing weight. But you get what you pay for and the FC-R600 is nice and affordable...

Favorite Ride:   Smooth Roads.

Purchased At:   Cyclerama

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SIS crankset on my Giant Boulder 2007.

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR Alliance T-Mobile 2008.

Submitted by android a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2007

Strengths:    Good price for a compact crank, shifts great.

Weaknesses:    It's a little heavier than the 105 crank and not quite as pretty.

Bottom Line:
I'm building bike for my daughter for Christmas and decided to set her up with a compact since she's only 10 and Austin is pretty hilly. I found one of these in a 165mm arm length which is perfect for her. I finished building the bike and adjusting derailleurs and I am very impressed by how nicely this crank shifts. The standard 105 front derailleur works absolutely perfectly. I took it for a test spin and it worked just as great under load as it did on the bike stand. (I'm 6'1" out riding on a 50cm bike in the middle of the night.)

Favorite Ride:   Central TX Hill Country

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Dura Ace and Ultegra cranks of various vintages.

Bike Setup:   Leader 717R with Shimano 105 10 speed

(except wheels are DA + OpenPro because every wheel in my house is a race spare!)

Submitted by bastman69 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2007

Strengths:    robust, reliable,cheap.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I used to read my bike to flat routes up to 100 km distance, with setup 39/53, 11/23. A couple of months ago i decided to prepare myself for national brevet events. So i had to change my gearing to something lighter. My choice was shimano r600 compact crankset 34/50. It gives me the ability for more light gearing selections. After the installation and use for 100 km, needs a check for loosen bolts. It works great with my groupset (campagnolo chorus) with no additional adjustments.

Favorite Ride:   Greece