Shimano Ultegra FC-6500 Cranksets

4.47/5 (30 Reviews)

Shimano Ultegra Crank FC-6500 Double. Tunnel forged crank arms. Octalink design. Super-rigid over-size pipe billet BB spindle. High-strength serration crank arm/BB joint.

Submitted by Niel Andbob a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2011

Strengths:    ...none

Weaknesses:    spider arms

Bottom Line:
WTF!

Broke with less than 1000km on them. Cracked almost completely through 2 arms of the spider, and hairline crack in the back of another. This is the only crank --maybe one of the only parts I have ever broken. Worked in shops for over eight years and have -never seen a crank fail this badly.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Ultergra 600, Raceface prodigy, Shimano 105 10 speed crank, Shimano 105 9 speed Crank, shimano 105 8 speed crank, Raceface turbine LP

Bike Setup:   Ultegra brake, 44T chain ring

Submitted by 813hammerhead1515 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Strengths:    The Ultegra 6500 Crankset is very stiff
The Crankset is very light
The crankset is shiney and looks great

Weaknesses:    None that I can tell

Bottom Line:
My 2005 Trek 2100 came with a Bontrager Race Triple Crankset and it had an integrated bottom bracket. Talking to the LBS sales guy and he told me that the integrated bottom bracket is better than the Splined bottom bracket. Looking back on that I beg to differ. The triple crankset that came with the bike looked hideous. For years I always wanted to upgrade my ugly crankset. Now listen to this all the components on my bike are nine speed. Its 2010 now and everything has gone to 10 speed components what is a cyclist to do. I had been looking on the internet for months at all kinds of cranksets. Some cranksets were carbon others were alluminum. Some range from $150.00 up to $500.00. I cam upon this review that said that the Shimano hallotech cranksets were the most rigid cranksets on the market to date. I was able to find an Ultegra 6500 crankset through Ebay, Brand New in Box for $129.00. When it arrived in the mail I could not believe how incredibly light it was even with the bottom bracket. The crank is as stiff as anything I had riddin before and it looks really great. It has a really nice shiney finish to it. After I purchased the crankset I went and purchased all the Ultegra 6500 components for my Bicycle. There are absolutely no creaks or tiks coming from my crankset of anykind when I ride my bike and I way 240lbs. Every thing from the Rear derailluer, cassette all the way up to the shifters is Ultegra 6500. I give the crankset 5 stars. It shifts incredibly smooth along with all the other Shimano Components. If your not willing to give up your nine speed yet look no further. By an Ultegra 6500 Crankset and the Ultegra bottom bracket and you can't go wrong. You will save a boat load of money so you can by a new wheel set. I hope this review has helped you. Happy Riding!

Favorite Ride:   Sunny Days Florida

OCLV Carbon Front forks and Mainstays
Ultegra 6500 Groupset

Submitted by Eric Vensel a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Replaced FSA's with this crank. I immediately noticed an increased stiffeness/positive response with this crank. Don't shift a lot here, but the shifting is really smooth. Installation very easy.

Favorite Ride:   Any road

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   FSA (can't remember type off-hand)

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR2

Submitted by Isaac Guy a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff and durable.

Weaknesses:    New chain rings are almost as expensive as a complete new crank set.

Bottom Line:
Came with a 2002 Lemond Victoire. I have been riding these cranks for over 20,000 km in all kinds of weather conditions you would typically encounter in the Midwest without having any problem. I replaced the chain rings once and I'm still looking for an excuse to change the bottom bracket or to get rid of this beast altogether.

Favorite Ride:   Lemond Ti