SRAM Red Cranksets

3.67/5 (12 Reviews)

Sram Red Crankset has an integrated carbon spider design provides lightness and stiffness and greater efficient power transfer. New Red Power-Glide chainrings provide greater stiffness and lightness.

Submitted by Dogpilot a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2011

Strengths:    Set it up right and you rarely have to fiddle with it again. Light and reasonably priced

Weaknesses:    I have one in their Red/Black combo and the black coating will wear revealing silver underneath.

Bottom Line:
The SRAM Red compact crankset came with the Colnago when I bought it. Never having used SRAM before. I was a die hard Dura Ace rider, but I am converted. While some folks have commented on flex problems, I cannot duplicate them. I live in the mountains at 7,000' and have to do a lot of hard out of saddle hill climbing. This crank / chainring does not flex for me (5'11", 179lbs). I like the fact I can swap chainring when climbing out of saddle without fear the chain will skate on the ring switch. The Dura Ace tripe I had on my Litespeed would, frequently and painfully skate and it most defiantly flexed.

I liked the combo so much, I swapped out all the Dura Ace on my Litespeed Ti bike to SRAM red. Luckily, people still go for the Dura Ace's bike jewelry status and I sold it all on ebay from a small profit on the swap. Now I enjoy the Red compact crank on both bikes. Beats the fiddly aspects of a triple setup any day.

I did pick up a spare regular SRAM Red Crank for the days when I come down from the lofty mountains to the flats to pick up the higher gearing. Its a bit chilly here in the winter, so unless I want to live in the basement on rollers, I drop down to the coast and ride a weekend or two a month. The swap only takes about 15 minutes to change the crank, move the derailleur and time it.

I have one crankset on the SRAM Red GXP bottom bracket and the other on an Optimus ceramic GXP bottom bracket. Frankly, I cannot tell the difference in performance, but the Optimus was about half the price of the SRAM and came in gold, so it matched the bike (Litespeed) better.

Favorite Ride:   Colnago CX-1 EVO

Purchased At:   Carbon Connection

Similar Products Used:   Dura Ace

Bike Setup:   Colnago CX-1 Evo all SRAM Red, SRAM S-27 wheels
Litespeed Titanium All SRAM Red Mavic Aksium wheels

Submitted by Deltadawg a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight looks good. i like how you can see through the bottom bracket.

Weaknesses:    Flexes big time. i'm a cat 2 linebacker built sprinter and I can flex these cranks no problem. Never had an issue before with Dura Ace. i made a mistake making the leap to save a few grams.

Bottom Line:
I first climbed aboard and stood on it and heard the chain rub the front der. So I got and adjusted it and no matter how much I adjusted it, it would still flex enough to rub. I am not happy wth this crankset. The Dura Ace crankset is still the best.

Favorite Ride:   A fast one

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Dura Ace, Campy, ultegra.

Bike Setup:   Rossetti Diablesse Sram Red

Submitted by naisan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2010

Strengths:    + light
+ stiff (cranks)
+ good looks
+ resists/hides scuff marks well

Weaknesses:    + flexy outer chainring

Bottom Line:
I've used both the RED compact and regular crankset, with the ceramic BB. The ceramic BB has a ton of drag, much more than my cheaper shimano ultegra. I just replaced the BB with a Chris king, but that's another story.

Crankset is good, except for major flex under power in the big ring. As most people have posted, the outer ring is defective in the older models, and you really need to get an updated one to be safe. I had somebody watch me on the rollers, and they noted that the top part of the chainring seems to get twisted like a potato chip away from the frame when under strong pedaling pressure - almost like the chain pulling against the back wheel pulls the chainring sideways.

the saddest part of this is that SRAM's tech got very rude with me when I called in for help on this, and tried to blame the frame (cervelo r3 is pretty stiff tho), and when I asked to speak to a supervisor there, nobody has called me back.

So much for customer service. My advice, get the crank, but factor in the price of a dura-ace or ultegra chainring, because SRAM will likely be less than helpful.

Favorite Ride:   When I'm riding

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R3, SRAM RED, '10 303 tubies

Submitted by tgeen a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2009

Strengths:

Bottom Line:
I picked up the Red crankset on sale at Performance because I was unhappy with the compact FSA Gossamer crankset that was OEM on my bike. The compact Sram Red totally cured all the problems I was having with balky, slow shifts and dropped chains. Finally, the front is shifting as smoothly and reliably as the rear--total satisfaction on that count. No problems with playing happily with Shimano shifters and derailleurs, either. It does its job and looks nice, and saved some weight. Based on my experience with this one component, I would seriously consider a Sram Red/Force group for my next bike. That is about the best compliment I can give.

I can't comment on the flex complaints, probably because I'm not powerful enough to notice this problem. Ditto with the non-ceramic GXP bottom bracket, which has been fine for me so far. Some day I would like to test a ceramic and steel bearing BB in a blind comparison test.

Submitted by onimura_teru a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2009

Strengths:    the rest of red groubpo is good.

Weaknesses:    very flexy in big ring.

Bottom Line:
very very flex in the big ring.when I use big ring and smallest cassette it rub the Front derailleur.I try to make more clearance but it make the chain get over the big ring.so I don't happy with it.

Similar Products Used:   Dura-ace 7900 groubpo.

SRAM Red RD axial play in P knuckle.

So...I noticed about 1.5 mm axial play in the P knuckle of my 2011 Red RD. I disassembled it and found that the screw/pin that retains the shaft is worn about 1/2 way through. This can be seen in the pic bellow. Also the shaft flange that rests on the pin is worn nearly 1/2 way through. About 13 ... Read More »

Sram Red 11 speed yaw front derailleur

Just wondering what the difference is between the 10 and 11 speed yaw front derailleur? I'm sure the cage is narrower on the 11 speed. I wanted to order the 10 speed but the supplier I deal with only has the 11 speed in stock. 10 speed won't be in stock until later in the month. Would the 11 spee ... Read More »

FFWD Red Wheel-set for sale (700c) Tubular Shimano

Message me if interested. Location- Naples, FLRead More »

Does the 2013 Force shifter have the same guts as Red Black shifters?

I know they are advertising the 2013 Force levers with having the zero-loss on both left and right shifters like the older Red, but do they still have the old Force internals or upgraded Red internals? Anybody look inside one yet?Read More »

RED Crank Serial Number?

Looking for a serial number on my RED Crankset, all I can find is a date code from March 2012 Anyone know where to find it if it exists? Thank you for the help.Read More »