SRAM Rival Cranksets

3.22/5 (9 Reviews)

SRAM Rival OCT Crankset New for 2009! The rival OCT crankset shows the way forward for any serious cyclist, putting power to the road while saving weight.  Utilizing Open Core technology, the OCT cranksets crank arms are hollow-f...

Submitted by paul l a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2009

Strengths:    Up to date design, I detect no flex or creaking from the cranks, chainrings or BB for this 100kg rider. Nothing has come loose or asked for attention. If comparison tests are to be believed then this (Black) Rival chainset is as stiff in the real world as anything else out there

Weaknesses:    Cosmetic markings from rubbing shoes as reported by previous reviewer. This will happen wih any chainset in my experience

Bottom Line:
My first external BB Chainset and I have no complaints with installation, performance or wear so far to the extent that I don't understand the negative comments.

I have to mark it as 5 for value as I think there are many subtle design touches used by SRAM that only revea themselves slowly (such as the fighter-pilot origin levers not scratching when you park your bike against a wall unlike competitors).

Marked as 4 overall as it would take a finsih that can't mark through wear to earn a 5

Purchased At:   Epic Cycles, UK

Similar Products Used:   Various Shimano. Tested but not lived with Campag chainsets

Bike Setup:   Viner Magnifica 2009 with SRAM Rival 34/50, Easton EA50SL/Rubino Pro 23mm summer and Bontrager Race/Conti 4 Seasons 25mm winter wheelsets, FSA Wing Pro bars, FSA carbon seatpost, Look KEO pedals, Fizik Arione saddle and saddlebag, Cateye V3 rear-wheel computer, Lezyne Mini Road Pro, NiteRider MiNewt 400 and Exposure Maxx 2 lights when needed

Submitted by dubdryver a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2009

Strengths:    Stout, well made, precise, when installed correctly will provide years of flawless reliability. Lightweight for level grade component.

Weaknesses:    Aluminum self extracting bolt could be made of a more durable material to "dummy-proof" installation. Paint on crank arm can rub off if in constant contact with shoe..but that is purely cosmetic.

Bottom Line:
Not really anything special to say about the crank, it does the job without fuss. What I am concerned with is ALL the negative comments about the GXP BB! I have consulted many people and LBS about this along with my personal experience which includes the same BB thats for 2 of my MTBs. I will have to say that 95% of the people complaining about this BB never installed it correctly, and either overtorqued or undertorqued the self extracting bolt. More likely didnt even use a torque wrench altogether! Granted it is an aluminum bolt (admit not the best choice of materials) but it works fine when done properly. My SC Blur has had the Stylo 3.3 GXP team (GXP BB) I weigh 180...no not 220 lb. but still I ride hard, and have not even had the bolt come loose once. Really when reviewing this product and if the BB is your concern because of all the negative reviews ask yourself a question to determine if you want a SRAM Crank/BB. Do you plan on following the instructions? Do you have a Torque Wrench or are having a shop install it? If you answer "NO" to any of those questions, don't buy this, you will just be another idiot that can't follow instructions and writes a dumb review because of his/her own failure.

Favorite Ride:   A1A

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   105, plan on going to force eventually, I am sold on SRAM drivetrains! For road and mountain. They are probably the most innovative company for bike components today, but that will probably happen with my habanero when I get it.

Bike Setup:   C'dale synapse alu 1 105grp

Submitted by swierszcz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2009

Strengths:    Shifting was OK when the crank was new.Was relatively light for a 2007 product. Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Rubbing noise during out of saddle climbs, flexing chainrings . Recently (8000 miles) I started dropping chain very often shifting to the small ring. FD adjustments did not help. BB is very fragile.

Bottom Line:
I like SRAM Rival a lot but the crank was disappointment from the start. SRAM replaced BB on warranty after maybe 500 miles. It did not stop a rubbing noise while climbing. Chainrings very flexible and bent easily. Never had a smooth feeling I get now riding Ultegra 6750.

Purchased At:   Cycle Solution

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 6750 Ultegra compact, Truvativ Elita

Bike Setup:   2007 Orbea Onix Rival
Shimano RS80 wheels

Submitted by Joe a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2008

Strengths:    On Sale
Easy to install
PerformanceBike has a great return policy

Weaknesses:    Drags
Fragile
A former racer now weekend warrior destroyed it

Bottom Line:
Had the 50/34 SRAM Rival compact crank on my bike for 4 months. Maybe 1500 miles during that time. Was working on jumps from a near standing start to build power for sprinting. The outer chainring snapped and then bent all to heck. I'm a strong rider, but ain't putting out that much wattage. I'm sure the pros are destroying these weekly.

I am replacing this crank with a Shimano one. Never, ever had a problem with my Ultegra cranks. And so ends my testing of the SRAM road component group!!

Favorite Ride:   Up and over the Pali

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Durace
Shimano Ultegra
Ritchey Compact

Bike Setup:   Giant Carbon with thomson stuff, FSA bars, Fizik seat, and wheels from Mike Garcia at oddsandendos

Submitted by benInMA a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2008

Strengths:    - Cost
- Easy to install & uninstall, does not require any special tools other then an 8mm allen wrench for the crank fixing bolt and two others (forget the sizes) for the chainrings

- Looks good when new

Weaknesses:    - Has to be torqued very carefully with plenty of grease or it will tend to loosen

- Chainring bolts also seem to have a tendency to work loose, after the 2nd try at removing, cleaning, loc-titing, and carefully re-torquing they seem to hold and run quiet.

- Finish is fragile, scratches exceptionally easy.

Bottom Line:
Satisfactory crank but nothing special.

Favorite Ride:   The next one..

Purchased At:   LBS with new bike