Truvativ Elita 2.2 Cranksets

• GXP BB System
  • PowerGlide Chainrings

Submitted by sixfofalcon a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2009

Strengths:    Tremendous value. Feels strong, stiff, smooth, and light. Looks great--matches my black wheels perfectly.

Weaknesses:    Tricky installation (perhaps "reinstallation" is the better term) even for someone who turns wrenches on a regular basis. Most competing products use more straightforward designs and may be a better choice if you are looking for a more foolproof installation.

Bottom Line:
I've been using this crankset for a little over a month now, and I'm quite impressed with the quality and value. After reading through the other reviews here, I knew that I would have to pay keen attention to the non-drive-side crank arm and make sure that it was torqued and seated properly. I assembled everything per the directions, then rode on the bike trainer for about 20 minutes. The crank arm still felt tight with absolutely no play, and when I put the allen wrench to it, the retaining bolt was still tight as well. Out of caution I decided to completely remove it, re-grease the splines, and reinstall per the directions. Lo and behold, I was able to snug the arm much tighter (smaller gap between the inner face of the crank arm and the outer face of the bearing) with the same amount of force. I rode the bike a few more times on the trainer (I think it was about three 20-30 minute sessions of interval training) and repeated the process (remove, re-grease, reinstall) and again, I was able to tighten the crank arm closer to the bearing with the same amount of force. I've now put several more fairly intense training sessions on the bike and the crankarm is holding fast with zero play or wiggle room.

My conclusion is that simply re-torquing the crank fixing bolt after a ride or two is not adequate. Completely removing the crank arm, re-greasing the splines, and re-installing the arm a couple of times yielded the best engagement of the splines. I would liken it to tapping threads on a fastener--it's best to cut the threads a little at a time, backing up considerably and applying lubricant before attempting more forward progress. In fact, I would speculate that in fact the splines of the spindle are indeed cutting and deforming the splines of the crank arm with each installation. After a few repetitions of the process, they are more perfectly seated to each other, which helps to distribute all that pedaling torque more evenly across the surface area of the splined interface.

Such a unique and somewhat confusing design is probably not the wisest thing to put out there without extremely explicit instructions, but it is working quite well for me, thanks in great part to the comments and warnings posted here on this website and a little engineering background. I hope to have better results over the long-term than some of the other reviewers have had.

Of course, it's also possible that I just got lucky (so far).

Favorite Ride:   Schuylkill River Trail (MYK-VF-MYK)

Purchased At:   eBay bike shop

Bike Setup:   2003 Lemond Tourmalet
Mavic Aksium wheelset
Mix of Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105, and Tiagra components

Submitted by palo alton a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2008

Strengths:    Manage a bike shop. We have had over 10 rental bikes with these cranks and have sold many bikes as well with these cranks. 1# problem, theLEFT ARM FALLS OFF. Yes, we tightened them correctly after the few first rides but they still would come off. The bottom bracket spindle is slightly tapered but will in time bottom out against a shelf. Talked to warranty department, they do not admit problem and advised that cranks were not tightened properly. They were out of left arms??? Wonder why.......

Weaknesses:    Read above.

Bottom Line:
This Compact crank sucks! Most left cranks can come off if not retightened after break in period...but we had close to TEN cranks have problems.

Similar Products Used:   20 other types over the shops 30 years. Shimano has been the best for us.

Bike Setup:   Most fell off a Fuji Roubaix 2006/7

Submitted by chiis a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2008

Weaknesses:    Read above.

Bike Setup:   Most fell off a Fuji Roubaix 2006/7

Submitted by Will a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2008

Strengths:    Simplicity of attachment

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
Destroyed it commuting to work in 2 summers (short Alaska summers). Same thing happened as stated in the other reviews: the crank arm would loosen up and need to be tightened every 3 miles. Inspection revealed the inside of the crank arm was worn down. I've put maybe 8 months on the bike, riding to work on pavement. I consider myself an average commuter/college student, and when averaging my experience with that of the other reviews of this product, I would say it will not hold up to daily use for very long.

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   Kona Jake 2006.

Submitted by patcat3 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2008

Strengths:    50x36t gearing is super for recreational riders. (Why did I wait so long?) The price is affordable.

Weaknesses:    For the price, none. (If I wanted lighter, I'd have to pay significantly more for anything in carbon. Nah.)

Bottom Line:
I bought this compact crank set because of the gearing at 50x36t and the fact that it had the one-piece crank with outboard bearings. As a 5' 8" rec-rider, the 52x39t had limitations for me. After making this switch, ride performance was vastly improved on the flats and especially on the climbs.

With the outboard bearings and GPX one-piece crank, I can do some heavy standing on climbs and it's smooth.

I've put around 3.5 K miles on them over the past two years--I have several bikes I ride through the year--and the only thing I'm noticing is the chrome-plating starting to wear off of the teeth.

Favorite Ride:   Any where, anytime

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Ultegra, 105, Sugino chainrings, Vuelta Chainrings, Rocket Chainrings

Bike Setup:   Soma Smoothie (Tange chromoly), Truvativ Elita 2.2 compact crank (50x36t), 11-25t cassette, Ultegra derailleurs and brakes, Xero aero rims, Easton carbon fork & carbon seatpost, Selle Italia Flite saddle, Performance Forte Ti pedals. Wt. 19.9 lbs.