Zipp Speed Weaponry VumaQuad Cranksets

2.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by kenstraub a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2012

Strengths:    really light, very stiff, great looks

Weaknesses:    need to be meticulous when you install, and need to have good chainline etc. It's easy to break stuff or overstress bolts, etc. I'm 165 lbs, not sure if bigger & stronger riders would have issues with chainring flex. Support from Zipp is not great, I ordered replecment rings from their web site and it took forever to get them.

Bottom Line:
put this crankset (compact, 34x50)on a Titanflex as part of a rebuild, goal was to go as light as possible. This set is incredibly light and very stiff. Have now put >10K miles on all sorts of riding, including commuting. Replaced worn chainrings once (probably from riding in rain & getting crap in the chain etc.), otherwise zero problems. Proper setup is important--- good chainline, don't overtighten chainring bolts, etc.

Favorite Ride:   San Mateo Coast

Purchased At:   (frame builder/lbs)

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Ultegra, SRAM GXP (carbon)

Bike Setup:   Titanflex frame, SRAM red shifting, EEbrakes, Easton ea90 clinchers

Submitted by Tbone a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    weight and cool looking

Weaknesses:    Crap flexible chainrings laterally and cost.

Bottom Line:
I bought these cranks cuz I love Zipp wheels or Zipp rims in particular not their hubs. The weight was outstanding and the crank arms and spiders are amazingly stiff. The Q angle is on par with Campy which is good. The draw backs with this crank is the bulges on the arms scrap against yoour shoe damaging the graphics why would they put that bulge there anyways. My biggest beef is like what others experienced laterally flexible chain rings that causes chain drops and noisy drive train. One of the tooth on the 53 ring chipped and bent, I took some pliers and straightened them out. I bought new chainring and second one did the same thing, if you look at the chain rings when bolted onto the spiders the chain rings are bent by their anchor screws. I ended up selling them. Lesson learned stupid light parts that make you slower are not worth it, like Zero gravity brakes. I am sticking with the old faithful 7900 Dura Ace its heavy but you put it on and forget it.

Favorite Ride:   Long mountain passes

Similar Products Used:   Dura ace 7900 and Sram red cranks

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R3 SL and Cervel S3

Submitted by Scott a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2010

Strengths:    Light, smooth, shifts great, etc etc... all the things you would expect from a 1000.00 crank set

Weaknesses:    Breaks
Poor customer service
Cannot get a replacement and I live only 80 miles from Speedway IN.

Bottom Line:
No issues with this crank at all until 19 months into ownership. I was sprinting over some rollers and the non drive side broke off just inside of the threaded pedal insert. Luckily I did not eat it.
Now I have waited one month and 2 days and the LBS says that Zipp is shipping me a Sram Red to have as a replacement. Sorry but if I wanted Sram Red, I would have bought Sram Red!

Favorite Ride:   mountains

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, FSA

Bike Setup:   Cervelo SSC-SL with all Sram Red except the crank.

Submitted by Sammy Al-Doory a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    prone to breakage. Expensive

Bottom Line:
Overall, not Bad, but the crank bolt broke after only one week of riding.I had to pay to have it replaced. I asked my local shop why, and they shrugged their shoulders and said "that's Zipp" I have contacted Zipp and am waiting for a reply.

Favorite Ride:   Cuyahoga Valley

Purchased At:   Bike parts

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Ultegra, Sram force. No problem with either of these

Bike Setup:   Scott Addict, Force parts, Custom wheels

Submitted by twade36 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2009

Strengths:    The box they came in was nice enough I guess.

Weaknesses:    Weak chain rings that will flex & possibly break...customer service & warranty department are a joke.

Bottom Line:
I can sum up the VumaQuad in two words...complete garbage. Sure, they look great, but unless you're looking to waste a lot of money on something that will give you nothing but problems & enjoy playing phone tag with a customer service department that dodges warranty issues for weeks on end while your bike sits & collects a fine coat of dust, I'd suggest that these cranks be avoided like the plague. I snapped a chain ring on these after using them for only 10 months. The broken chain ring left a nice, long gouge on my brand new bike. To date (6 weeks after the fact), Zipp has STILL not replaced the crank, & even gone so far as to say that they aren't willing to & would rather replace it with a Sram Red. Thanks but no thanks.