FSA C-16 Front Derailleur

3.25/5 (4 Reviews)

• Up to 16 tooth capacity
  • All stainless steel hardware
  • Ideally suited for compact cranksets
  • Polished and chrome plated steel cage

Submitted by tcd5bikes a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Strengths:    wide range of 16 teeth accomodates compact cranks better.

Weaknesses:    machanism seizes up, needs constant lubrication.
design causes cable rubbing against the derailleyr body causing fraying.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the FSA C-16 front derailleur based on FSA's good reputation at the time. I thought a front derailleur designed for compact cranks might work better given the 16T range. The derailleur works adequately, but has two major flaws. 1- the mechanism binds up making shifts to the large chainring very difficult. In one case, the cable pulled right out of the clamp because the derailleur wouldn't move to up-shift. 2- the design of the cable clamp relative to where the cable routes through the frame results in a sharp bend in the cable , which also rubs against the front derailleur body. The rubbing eventually will cause pre-mature fraying. Any rider would be better off with any Campy or Shimano front derailleur. I have Shimano front derailleurs which are much older, that have never had this seizing up problem.

Favorite Ride:   Giant TCR

Purchased At:   Bikeman.com

Similar Products Used:   Campy chorus, Shimano Dura-ace, Ultegra, LX, XT

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR 9speed Shimano Dura-ace / Ultegra

Submitted by ORValleyRider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2008

Strengths:    Inexpensive, does what it claims, easy alignment.

Weaknesses:    Finish is a bit sub-par, but in keeping with the price. Mine arrived with no instructions of any kind. That wasn't an issue for me but if you need assistance the Park Tool web site is excellent.

Bottom Line:
Since switching to a compact crank my original Ultegra double FD always made front shifts a gamble. I finally ordered this FSA unit and so far it has been an ideal solution. My Felt F65 has a flared seat tube which necessitated some modifications for the clamp and to provide clearance between the cable and the tension spring but that is no reflection on this component. I installed the new FSA during a rebuild and just eyeballed it without the chain in place. I was very pleased indeed that once the chain was installed I made only a couple of minor tweaks to the stop screws and it shifted perfectly. I have only ridden about 50 miles since but shifting in both directions has been great. No more "easing" the chain onto the big ring or shift and trim to get to the small ring.

Purchased At:   biketiresdirect

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra double FD.

Bike Setup:   Felt F65, Forte Compact crank, Easton Circuit wheels, 52 year old motor.

Submitted by jester50 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2008

Strengths:    Cost efficient, seems well made - its FSA! Handles the shift well, crisp.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than some other brands.

Bottom Line:
I got this to replace my ultegra triple front derailleur when I switched to a compact crankset. I am using it with a FSA carbon elite crank. This is the clamp on model. I have no issues with it. It shifts smoothly on my 50-36t setup. Its a BIG improvement from the triple and it handles the big jump well.

I had it setup by a shop, but fine tuned it a bit more at home and its worked flawless the past months.

Can't think of anything bad to say about this part...it does what its supposed to do and at $30, how can you go wrong?! I guess its a "little" heavier than some other compact derailleurs on the market. But I wasnt about to pay $50 more to save a few grams.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Mary, AZ

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra triple front

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Allez, dura-ace/ultegra/fsa parts.

Submitted by ashwinearl a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2007

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Doesn't shift up to the big ring very well

Bottom Line:
I decided to get this for my move to a compact crankset. The Ritchey PRO is the best value in a compact crankset and I got that.

This front der has a capacity of 16t. The compact crankset is 50/34 so this FD should work.

However it does not work very well. The chain just doesn't want to shift up to the big ring like it should.

My regular campy FD works better. From the research I've done since getting this the regular Campy and Shimano's look to work better. The Compact Campy is recommended ONLY with the Campy compact crankset.

Favorite Ride:   Spruce Run