FSA Energy Front Derailleur

• Clamp-on style fits 31.8 or 28.6mm seat tube diameter
  • 89 grams weight

Submitted by Zachariah

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Strengths:    ~ 110 grams(31.8mm clamp)
~ Lightning fast shifts
~ Cage screw opens to install chain without breaking it open
~ Fully serviceable linkage

Weaknesses:    ~ Some binding, whenever limit screws were adjusted. Frees up, when a hard shift is made

Bottom Line:
Works great, even combined with a full 9-speed rear drivetrain. However, I also use a 10-speed chain with a double 10s crankset. This arrangement is for a high performance, flat-bar, Sport Hybrid. The 9s twist shifters provide instant engagement, once that "click" detent is heard. The narrower 10s chain never rubs the FD, since I have micro-trim adjustment of the twist shifters. I do like the 100% serviceable linkage, since not even Shimano or SRAM offer this feature in their Dura Ace or Red gruppos.

Submitted by roni a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2010

Strengths:    plate and linkage stiffness.
can rebuild the linkage.

Weaknesses:    needs massaging to accomodate 10 speed cassette with no trim.

Bottom Line:
Cage is stiff, links are stiff. Inside plate has a slight concavity to help upshift. The outside plate is flat, doesn't have any little bends in it, so you'd think it wouldn't downshift as well... incorrect... This is one of the best front derailers I've used so far.
I'm using it with newer SRAM shifters that don't have trim in the small ring, so it's difficult to get no chain rub over the whole 10 speed range up front, but with a little massaging of the outer plate, you can widen the back to accomodate the cassette.
The curvature is supposedly designed for a compact crankset (50/34) and shifts it perfectly. No dropped chains in or out so far. And you can rebuild the linkage

Similar Products Used:   microshift, SRAM Rival.

Bike Setup:   Masi Gran Corsa Premio, SRAM Rival shifters, FSA Omega MegaExo crankset, SRAM Apex rear derailler and cassette.

Submitted by danielhaden a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2008

Strengths:    Very light weight high end product, and also quite strong. Good at getting the chain where its supposed to go.
NICE to access almost all of the cogs from each chainring!!

Weaknesses:    Can't do magic. For instance, if one has a bad/bad combination of the 105 chain and an FSA crankset (or any with non-gated 9x chainring). . . well, its a fine derailleur, but it can't do the impossible.
Appears to be full size, but the slightly curved plates do give the correct shift.

Bottom Line:
Can't comprehend the previous review at all. I'm using it with the exact same shifter (105 / R700). Its quite helpful to actually get a shift out of the 10 cog systems. Works better with SRAM's chain.
This derailleur improved my shifting.

Favorite Ride:   all over the midwest

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Everything Shimano. . . and that made me so glad to have the FSA now.

Bike Setup:   R700 (105) shifters, SRAM 1070 chain, cassette, and Rival crankset.
Hey, there's only 4 compact cranksets with pins, ramps, AND gates. Those are Shimano R700 (and family), Sram Rival (and family) Sugino Alpina/Cospea, and TA Zeypher. Other cranksets lack the deep cut gates (very big grooves) and so cranksets with no gates (most 9x) would naturally take more force to shift no matter what derailleur is used.
This derailleur can't upgrade your crankset to 10x (with gates), but it did improve my shifting.

Submitted by aaronis31337 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2008

Strengths:    I don't know. Maybe it's cheap?

Weaknesses:    Poor construction causes flex. VERY hard on your shifters and can cause failures

Bottom Line:
Poor product. Has compatibility issues with 105's. Flex's when used and ruined my 105 shifter -- replaced under warrenty. I need to replace this with Shimano 105's -- only about $50. Skip this product -- it will cost you most than you think.

Favorite Ride:   American River