Shimano Dura-Ace FD-7800 Front Derailleur

Radical improvement in front shifting is one of the most significant advances in the new Dura-Ace. The 7800 Dura-Ace front derailleur still offers the legendary performance you''d expect from Shimano drivetrain components, but has been tweaked to accomodate the new 10 speed drivetrain.

Submitted by TFC a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2009

Strengths:    Functions like it should

Weaknesses:    Poor QC

Bottom Line:
FD 7800 The outside steel chrome is chipping and corroding after two years of non-rain use. My Campi Super Record is corrosion free after 30 years of use.
This will need to be replaced well before it's useful lifespan.

Similar Products Used:   Campagnolo

Bike Setup:   Cervelo Soloist Carbon

Submitted by Super7 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2007

Strengths:    Works great.

Weaknesses:    Shoddy finish, chrome flaking off and corrosion underneath

Bottom Line:
I bought a new bike with full D/A group approximately one year ago and probably have about 6,000 miles on it. The D/A front derailleur continues to work flawlessly; however, when I was cleaning my bike the other day I noticed that the chrome coating on the derailleur was flaking off in a couple of places and pitted in others. Where the chrome had flaked off, the metal was corroded underneath. I was surprised as I haven't ridden this bike much in the rain, and although I live in a hot humid area, keep the bike inside my air conditioned house when not riding it. I am going to seem if Shimano will replace under warranty and will try to remember to post an update.

Favorite Ride:   hilly

Similar Products Used:   older d/a, ultegra, xtr, sachs, campy

Bike Setup:   Kestrel evoke with d/a group

Submitted by davidscone a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2005

Strengths:    Shifting is quick.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work well with FSA compact crank. You have to let up the pressure on the crankarms to get a decent shift.

Bottom Line:
I can only evaluate this derailleur's performance with a compact crankset. My bike came with an FSA compact crank 50-34 and a Dura Ace 10 spd setup. The Dura Ace front derailleur seems to have some problems adapting to the compact design. Firstly, the upshift is very temperamental - you have to let up on the crank before shifting to ensure a smooth shift. Otherwise there is grinding and protests from the drivetrain. Also, I keep throwing my chain if I am in #7 or 8 in the rear and go from the big to small chainring in the front. I can't seem to get the adjustment right.

Favorite Ride:   San Clemente to Oceanside

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Campagnolo Veloce and Centaur - shifts much more smoothly than the Dura Ace.

Bike Setup:   Felt F55 w/ Dura Ace shifters/derailleurs and FSA compact crank.