Shimano Tiagra FD-4503-B Front Derailleur

• 20T capacity
  • 63-66 degrees chainstay angle

Submitted by taputah a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2008

Strengths:    Shifts quickly and effortlessly

Weaknesses:    Haven't had any yet.

Bottom Line:
I bought this to replace a junker on an old frame. It shifts beautifully and I haven't had the problem the other reviewer mentioned. It has stayed true and I haven't had to adjust it yet. I just ride around the neighborhood which has good hills and flats. I like it a lot.

Favorite Ride:   Around the block

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Just mountain stuff, Acera, LX and XT

Bike Setup:   80's schwinn cross(something or other). Flatbar racer set up. LX RD, STX shifters, Avid brake levers, Tektro V-brakes, Tiagra FD, WTB saddle, Truvativ Isoflow Road Triple. Nashbar platforms.

Submitted by Slowman a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    None. It is a part that I'd flag for an immediate upgrade. It shifts OK when the derailleur is at the right height but it just won't stay there.

Weaknesses:    The spring is so strong that when you upshift the chain to the big chain ring it actually pulls the band clamp down along the seat tube. By the end of a 2 hour ride you can't shift up to the big chain ring because the cage has actually dropped too far down. With a carbon frame there is a limit to how much you want to tighten the clamp. So I put some electrical tape around the tube which usually give s little more purchase but it still pulled the whole derailleur down along the seat tube.

Bottom Line:
This came on a bike which I am taking to leave in Taiwan, the mountains up there require a triple and bike was on special.

Favorite Ride:   Shire to Wollongong and back

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   My training bike has Dura Ace and my Tri/TT race bike has Ultegra and I've never experienced such bad front shifting ever.

Bike Setup:   I swapped all of the Tiagra triple groupset over to a Trek 5500 frame and swapped the Ultegra 10 speed onto this new frame with its compact crank for some road racing. I couldn't swap the fron t derailleurs because the Trek take a braze on type.