SRAM Apex Front Derailleur

The SRAM Apex front derailleur is made to easily shift between any of the double chainring configurations offered on the Apex cranksets. Aluminum body with steel cage. 89 grams braze-on.

Submitted by Yesroh a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Impossible to get to shift consistently, if at all. For the past year it's been a useless piece of my bicycle.

Bottom Line:
I've never had such a poorly operating front derailleur in 28 years. This thing occasionally works but often won't put the chain up on the top ring, or if it does it throws the chain. I could not race a road race with this thing, but I've been doing primarily hill climbs where I don't change rings. I did an Ironman last August and the chain came off six times and once jammed my rear wheel causing me to skid to a stop and almost wreck other cyclists. I rode my windtrainer tonight and after tweaking, I upshifted once, flawlessly. I was excited but it would not repeat that after trying six more times. It downshifts fine, but the chain has a tendency to float on top of the small chainring and takes a few strokes to grab the teeth--again, this would not work in a race. I'm at my last straw on this thing. It's just a very poorly operating device and also has no trim option, so if I want to go to my larger chainring, I have to pull over and hoist the chain up there by hand. I don't really race enough to consider myself a competitor anymore--I race 1-3 times a year and do a lot of running.