Campagnolo Centaur Groupos

4.56/5 (9 Reviews)

• Centaur™: everything you always wanted and never dared to ask for. Top-of-the-range materials and technical solutions characterize the CentaurTM groupset, designed for those who demand medium-high performance and the most exclusive Campagnolo® look as well.
  • The new Ultra-Torque™ system for the cranksets is also available this year in the Carbon version; Skeleton™ architecture for the brakes; carbon for the outer plate of the rear derailleur, the bottle cage and the Ergopower™ controls: a class option at a competitive price.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by ernesto freyre a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Strengths:    Strong cranks, picks up speed when you need to. Very solid crankset. Lighter and as good as record and super record.

Weaknesses:    The crank teeths is not as unique as Record and super record.

Bottom Line:
    I am a retired racer from the 80, Got the Centaur crankset, Carbon Fiber, their weight is only 707 grams, which is as close as Campy record and super record, for a lower price. I find it very pleasant to ride with.

Favorite Ride:   Kendall Lakes

Purchased At:   Wrench science

Similar Products Used:   FSA Gossamar. TOO HEAVY!

Bike Setup:   Colnago all parts are Veloce except crankset is Centaur.

Submitted by Rob T a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    Carbon cranks, carbon shifter. Very precise shifts. Value!

Weaknesses:    non

Bottom Line:
    Just updated the group set on my 2002 Colnago C40 (2002 Record) with the carbon Centaur. The groupo is very impressive! Shifting is outstanding, looks great on the C40. The cranks and the bottom bracket are such an improvement over the 02 Record. The bike rides like new! The Centaur is such a great value.

Favorite Ride:   Fenton Ride

Purchased At:   Lickbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Campy Record, Campy Chorus

Bike Setup:   Colnago C40, Centaur 10 speed carbon. 12/25 cassette, 170mm cranks, Record wheelset.

Submitted by DrSmile a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    Shifting is perfect. The new style levers are comfortable, but I have to say I liked the old ones just fine and the new ones remind me too much of Shimano in terms of looks. It's still 10 speed, so compatible with a lot of other (older) groupsets. Costs a lot less than Athena or Chorus. UT cranks can't be beat. Compact 50/36 with the 11-25 cassette allows for a wide choice of gears. A lot lighter than older Centaur.

Weaknesses:    The new rubber covers on the levers are slippery when wet (old design was stippled and works better). Stamped chainrings look ugly. Skeletonized brakes are a b*tch to clean.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this groupset for my Ti bike build, I wanted something still compatible with my 10 speed Record and Shimergo bikes. The ONLY drawback to this groupset is the stamped chainrings. Prior Centaur cranks featured EPS machined chainrings and these are an improvement, although functionally there isn't all that much difference. Esthetically I think these stamped black chainrings on the carbon crank look terrible. Carbon version of levers and cranks look spectacular by comparison.

Favorite Ride:   My bike!

Purchased At:   shinybikes

Similar Products Used:   10 spd Record, 10 spd Centaur (06),DA 7800, Ultegra 6600

Bike Setup:   Lynskey Ti frame, Neuvation R wheels, Ritchey stem + seat post, Easton bars.

Submitted by james_in_Italy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    The Campagnolo quality, great looks, predicted reliability, and price point. Oh yeah, and did I mention performance?

Weaknesses:    It's not spelled "R-e-c-o-r-d". Lacks corrosion resistant finish and some other niceties of the higher Campy gruppos. Right side downshift a bit light.

Bottom Line:
    I just picked up a Centaur equipped FP3 last week and put in a couple hundred kilometers so far.
    My previous bike was a mid-70's steel lugged, campy record equipped Raleigh Pro so the 2009 Centaur gruppo was a real leap forward. The bike came with Most (FSA) crankset & BB, but otherwise full 2009 Centaur. The gruppo is performing admirably and I love the new ergo levers! The braking is excellent. I ride on the hoods a lot and find a finger or two on the top of the lever is plenty under most conditions. I have flat ergo bars, and with the ergo levers mounted high on the bar it creates a flat 'table' to rest my palms on comfortably with a smooth transition on and off the hoods. The "light" shifting hasn't bothered me, and it seems to shift cleanly even on the uphills under torque. Downshifting (to larger cog) with the right lever does take a little getting used to - not enough and the chain will slip back down - but I'm already adapting to this.
    I originally wanted Chorus 11-spd, but the bike was only sold complete and Chorus was not an option. Having used Centaur a while, and comparing the tech specs, I'm beginning to think the differences between Chorus and Centaur may be many, but mainly minor. I find the upshifts very crisp on both sides, with no hesitation up and down the compact (50/34) chainrings. This groupset has adopted many features from past Record/Chorus models and all in all I'm very satisfied with Centaur performance. The Campagnolo quality, great looks, predicted reliability, and price point seem to make this groupset a winner.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in Friuli-Venezia-Giulia

Purchased At:   Bike factory

Similar Products Used:   Older Campagnolo Record.

Bike Setup:   Pinarello FP3 with Zonda wheels, Thundercat bars, Selle Italia SLR saddle.

Submitted by waterford853 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Strengths:    Hood shape, brakes, build quality. Awesome value.

Weaknesses:    Almost no feedback from the right shifter on downshifts. The stamped big ring (53T) is loud (strange). At first, I thought the cage was rubbing...

Bottom Line:
    10spd, 2009 Polished Set.

Coming from '96 Record, I was shocked at the quality of the group - the exception being the stamped Chainrings. Stiffer crank, rear der almost the same as the old record, fantastic brakes. In the forums, a member dismantled both Record 11 and the Centaur and found virtually no difference so I think they will wear just fine. No break-in time. Others have mentioned the light shift action and I would agree. I do miss the feedback from the old levers. I would like the more positive feel of the new 11spd groups, but not for the HUGE cost difference. This is as much as most riders will ever need or want. For most, overall score would be a 5, but I marked down for the stamped big ring and the light shift action on right downshift, only.

Purchased At:   totalcycling.com

Similar Products Used:   96 Record.

Bike Setup:   Cinelli Nuovo SuperCorsa, Centaur, Shamal Ultra wheels.

Centaur Power Torque Triple Front Derailleur issue

This is a real frustrating issue I have a mixed Campagnolo set on the new Soma. Every thing works splendidly well except the front derailleur. I started with the current 2013 QS derailleur recommended for this crank but when the head mechanic at the local shop tried to install it. It would eith ... Read More »

Campagnolo Centaur compact, change 50 chainring to 52 or 53...is it possible?

Hello all, I would like to change my 10sp Campagnolo Centaur CT 2007 chainset (Ultra Torque) from compact to standard. Nevertheless, it costs a lot and I was thinking, if it is possible to change only the big chainring. I have a 50 teeth chainring and if I could swap it with a 52 or 53 would be per ... Read More »

Veloce, Centaur or Athena

I'm going to build up my LOOK KG281 - I've had it in storage for a few years and miss riding it. I previously had a Shimano DA 9 speed grouppo on it but decided to try out Campy this time. I was looking on Shiny Bikes and noticed the 3 grouppos mentioned above are at reasonable if not excellentl ... Read More »

Campy Centaur Ultra Torque - cassette options

Hi All I have a campy centaur full groupset ultra torque with "QS factor" :confused: (I can add pics tonight for identification) with a 11-25 rear and 39-53 front. I need to switch to compact and I'd really like to just change out the chainrings but thus far I've read that compact rings won't ... Read More »

Centaur UT or new Athena UT Chainset ?

Im after a new campagnolo alloy UT chainset. I can get either of the above for around the same price. Will be for use on a 10 speed Chorus equipped bike. I've already swapped over a Record 10 spd alloy chainset to Centaur UT on an old bike and was thinking of doing the same on another. QUESTION: ... Read More »