Campagnolo Chorus 9 speed Groupos

4.55/5 (64 Reviews)

The Campagnolo Chorus groupset makes great use of composite materials technology. Composite materials provide a better weight/resistance ratio than aluminum and titanium. That means that a product in composite material weighs less but provides the same level of resistance, which is no small advantage.
The already high performance provided by the Campagnolo Chorus group is further improved. Crankset, rear derailleur, Ergopower and seatpost now share with theCampagnolo Record groupset the technology of composite materials.

Submitted by Richard Young a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Strengths:    light weight without any obvious tadeoffs

Weaknesses:    I don't really like the weird look of the crank

Bottom Line:
2008 Campagnolo Chorus Compact 10 speed groupo. This replaced my 18 year old 1st generation Campaganolo Ergo conventinal 8 speed with approximately 20,000 miles. The old groupo was absolutely bomb proof. I am sure I had it adjusted but I can't remember ever doing so, never overhauled. New stuff seems just as good. Crank is much lighter and stiffer, I weigh 240 lbs so this feature is very much welcomed. Brakes are lighter and seem improved but only slightly. I made the mistake of ordering a short cage derailer with the compact crank and a 13x29 cassette(the shop should have recognized my mistake but failed to do so)but the mechanic said not to worry.... and he was correct. Seems to stift just fine but then again its not like I get to test ride all kinds of groupos. The campy web site says to match only the meduim cage with the compact crank w/ 13x29 cassette....so beware! Too early to rate it a "5".

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   1988 Davidson Custom with oversized cromoly tubing. Bontrager X lite aero wheels

Submitted by Mike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Strengths:    Performance like no other, amazingly cool, great shifting by far, great braking, 10 speed, they look killer. Shifting on the fly is awesome. I can always shift while climbing and that speaks volumes. Thank you Campy.

Weaknesses:    Price. That's about it. But I'd pay for it no matter what happens. It's my bike.

Bottom Line:
Campagnolo Chorus. I used old school Chorus back in the early 90's, 8 speed. I just upgraded my Allez to 10 speed. I love Campy. I love the wheelset I have now. The Protons roll great and stay trued, great wheelset for the buck. Next wheelset will be Eurus. Got them from Bicycle Buy for a great deal. Right now I have FSA compact cranks. Chorus compact FD makes a huge difference in shifting. Campy is sweet and shifts great.

Favorite Ride:   Mercer Island

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Shimano DA.

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Allez..Chorus Compact FD ..FSA compact cranks..Campy Protons.

Submitted by mbakercad a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2006

Strengths:    Ultra smooth, precise, and a work of art.

Weaknesses:    Rear brake caliper does not want to center up as well as I think it should.

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic groupo. I can only campare them to Shimano Sora but it is not a comparison. Lightening fast shifts, ultra smooth, lightweight, & beautiful.

Purchased At:   repartocorse.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Sora 8 speed mix.

Submitted by cthomas a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2005

Strengths:    - Campy cool
- Ergonomics are great. The flat bar/hood position is very comfortable.
- Shifts like a dream, especially the Front Derailleur. Rear derailleur is nice and precise.

Weaknesses:    - Cost, but this is not as bad when compared to the new D/A and Ultegra 10 pricing.
- chains and cassette prices are absurd. The good news is that Campy cassettes are good old-fashioned steel and will last a long time.

Bottom Line:
A lifelong Shimano rider, I wanted to try Campy when I bought my new custom Seven but had fairly new Dura Ace 9 speed so decided to wait. Being somewhat of a Fred, after a year I couldn't wait any longer! I shopped both the Shimano D/A 10 and Campy Chorus/Record. While I liked the improvement to the Shimano STI shifters, I just didn't like the overall look (my wife calls them ram's horns). Personally I loved the ergonomics of the Campy flat hoods, so I decided to take the plunge. Not being a racer, I just couldn't justify the cost difference for Record (I'm not THAT much of a Fred!). I do my own wrenching, so I bought the majority of the gruppo from Colorado Cyclist but the brakeset and a chain from eBay. I also bought a set of Proton wheels from Total Cycling in Ireland. $290 duty-free, so quite a deal.

Overall the fit and finish of the Chorus parts are beautiful. Sleek, stylish, and with panache. Installation was easy, although I had to get used to cable routing under the handlebar tape. It also took me 2 attempts to get the handlebar tape wrapped right, since it is a little different than Shimano.

Now for the functionality...can't be beat!

Shimano D/A is a lighter touch, but the Campy shifters seem to get better with every ride. I also noticed that the rear shifts are solid and precise, although the 10-speed drivetrain does require a bit more dialing in than the old 9 speed. Front shifting is WAY better, as the Campy uses a ratcheting motion that more gently moves the chain when compared to Shimano's spring loaded jump. I use an FSA compact crankset with the Chorus CT front derailleur, and the front shifting is far better than my old D/A shifters with an IRD FD. Not even close.

The Campy FD did cause me fits, as it has a little plastic insert to help shifting. This also narrows the opening for the chain, and I was constantly adjusting this until I just removed the insert. I just can't tolerate chain rub.

Finally, the Campy panache is excellent, especially the carbon fiber levers. Shimano bikes are everywhere, but not many ride Campy. This adds to the cool factor. Add to that that it is rebuildable, and you can't beat it. Shimano levers are great, but after a couple of years their performance just starts to wane. I am looking forward to being able to replace parts and have my shifters functioning like new.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere flat!

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist and

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Ultegra 9, Dura Ace 9, Campy Veloce

Bike Setup:   Custom Seven Alaris with full Chorus, FSA compact cranks, and Campy Proton wheels.

Submitted by philhbike a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    Beauty
Rebuildability (is that a word?)
Durability
"Ergo"-nomics
Ergopower shifter setup
Deliberate-sounding gear changes

Weaknesses:    I'm trying real hard to think of one...

Bottom Line:
When I decided to buy my Colnago, I had to decide between Campy and Dura Ace. I had been riding Shimano-equipped bikes since the late '80's, and was a bit hesitant to switch (although I always was a Campy fan!). I decided it just seemed right to put Campy on a Colnago, and am very happy I did. I am still riding my original chain, after 15000+ miles, and have never had to replace or even adjust any of the Campy parts. I like the analogy that Campy feels like you're driving a fine Italian sports car (deliberate shifts, beautiful to look at, finely crafted), where Shimano is more like a fine Japanese sports car (quieter, efficient, less personality and beauty). Both are excellent in their own way, but I definitely prefer Campy!

Favorite Ride:   Wrightsville Beach, NC

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction, Wilm

Similar Products Used:   Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105

Bike Setup:   Colnago, mostly Chorus with some Record, American Classic 420's, K-Wing's, Time Impact Mag's,

Campy Chorus Compatility 9 speed hub ?

Hi. I picked up a very nice set of Campy Chorus 32h hubs today. Are these compatible w/ 2009 Centaur 10 speed? If not, what might I do to upgrade? I'm building up a set of tubs for my wife's DeRosa and she really wants 10 speed Campy.Read More »

Retrograding Chorus 10 speed to 9 speed

If I wanted to retrograde a Chorus 10 speed ergo to 9 speed is the 9 speed index gear (part no. EC-RE063) the only part that I need?Read More »

Campagnolo chorus 9 speed ergo problems

Just installed a new pair of Chorus 9 speed non carbon ergo levers and the right lever works only either on the ups shifts but not on the down and if I get it to work going down won't work going up . New just about everything - frame , cables , casing etc . ..... Any suggestionsRead More »

campagnolo chorus 9 speed

How can I tell the difference between pre and post 2001 chorus 9 speed shifters? Can it be done visually? ThanksRead More »