Campagnolo Daytona Groupos

4.32/5 (25 Reviews)

Submitted by bobbycorno a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth, solid, high quality feel. Everything works exactly as it should. 10 speeds! It's Campy. IT'S NOT SHIMANO!!!

Weaknesses:    Brakes don't open wide enough for my 25mm Michelin Axial Pro tires. The "Perma-link" in the 10-spd chain is a pain.

Bottom Line:
First off, I'm not exactly a "recreational" rider. I'm a former USCF Masters racer, and I still ride hard and fast. At 6'3" and 195 lb, I'm not exactly small. Over the last 30 years, I've used just about every brand of components out there, and Campy still gets my vote for the best there is. This is the second frame I've had this group on, and have had exactly zero problems with any aspect of performance. I've ridden several Ultegra equipped bikes, and am completely unimpressed. The brand "S" stuff feels absolutely cheesy by comparison: the shifting is vague, the brakes are mushy, and the overall sense of quality just ain't there. And for those who whine about the plastic on the QR skewers, take a close look at Ultegra some time: there's easily 5 times as much plastic in that group.
I was only going to give it 4 stars, since it's not top of the line, but for its market niche, it's close enough to perfect, so 5 stars it is.

Favorite Ride:   Downhill, with the wind

Purchased At:   FSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra, old Campy, Suntour, old Dura Ace.

Bike Setup:   Gunnar Roadie, Wipperman chain, Mavic Open Pro rims, Michelin Axial Pro (25mm) tires.

Submitted by Rick Salinas a Recreational Rider from Hubbard, Oregon - USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2003

Strengths:    Great shifting (9 speed), nice 'trimming' of front derailure, great looking and built to last.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Now called 'CENTAUR GRUPO' but basically same as the 'Daytona'grupo of 2000, 2001.

I went with the triple nine-speed as I wanted the strength of a thicker chain. I live in Taiwan where we have lots of long, high mountain ranges and the triple comes in very handy.

Absolutely recommend this grupo to anyone who wants smooth shifts, nice finishing and craftsmanship, dependability. From day 1 I've had no problems at all. It has very precise shifting, low noise and just built solid, no 'plastic' or cheap looking parts at all.

Similar Products Used:   MTB SHIMANO XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Colnago OvalMaster Frame / Campy Zonda Wheelset / Chorus Headset, pedals, seatpost

Submitted by doug1m a Recreational Rider from Grover Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2003

Strengths:    I got a great price. On the up side, Campagnolo rebuilt my Daytona shifters. They are a backup for the Chorus.

Weaknesses:    I'm about 200 pounds. I kill gear and Daytona was no exception..... Buy the higher priced gear if you do 150-200 miles a week and have my weight.

Bottom Line:
Bottom Bracket screamed (made noises from the beginning) had to be replaced. The chain broke and took out the rear derailleur. Shifters started to skip gears. Soooo, I replaced the broken bits with Chorus and I've been happy since. The Chorus BB made for a tight fit and the crank arms are now within a 1/8th inch of the chain stays. The Daytona hubs are a replacement for the Bianchi standard Levitation wheelset that I broke spokes (only 16 per wheel) on way to often to remember. The Daytona hubs on Mavic Open Pro (32 spokes) ended that problem. Brakes and the front derailleur are fine.

Favorite Ride:   Morrow Bay

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   None. The last bike I owned had Very old Shimano seven speed (pre-index shifting).... But lasted over three years.

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Daytona 10 speed.... Out of the box (low priced) race bike that couldn't stand up to a 200 lbs. rider.

Submitted by M B a Road Racer from USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Strengths:    10 speed at a very reasonable price. Just love the shifting.

Weaknesses:    Needs wet lube as recommended by campy. With dry lubs the drivetrain is noisy.

Bottom Line:
I have been using the Daytona gruppo for over a year now. Put about 4000 miles on it. This is a very smooth shifting drive train. It took a good 800 miles to get it broken in but now it shifts flawlessly without any adjustments since the past 3000 miles. All the components are superstrong and very good looking.

Favorite Ride:   50 + miles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Ultegra

Bike Setup:   Litespeed

Submitted by Mark Dennis a Recreational Rider from Melbourne AU

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    Quality at a budget price. Works really really well in shifting and braking. Hubs roll really smooth.

Weaknesses:    Some plastic bits like the clamps on the hubs may not last. Cost of parts (like genuine cogs) is high.

Bottom Line:
I have the 9 speed Daytona because I get a stronger and hopefully longer lasting chain (and aftermarket choice too) than the narrow 10 speed. I have the whole groupset except that I use Connex Whipperman chains (2 of on rotation). I'm really happy with it as a value for money groupset. You get the best bits of Chorus without the cost I think. It is shifting flawlessly so far.

Favorite Ride:   Andrews Hill King Lake

Purchased At:   Trak Cycles Melbourn

Similar Products Used:   Only Shimano MTB stuff.

Bike Setup:   Ciombola Steel (Dedacciai Sat 14.5) Custom bike with Mavic Open Pro CD rims.

Daytona Bianchi upgrade

I would like to upgrade my 2000 Daytona Bianchi. My question is, What is the newest Campagnolo groupset, or a mixture of them, that I could install in my frame? Of particular interest is to know the type of crank that would fit, or, the newest type of Bottom Bracket that could be fitted into my fra ... Read More »

Okay All You Fire Fighter Types: Daytona 500 Question

For those of you who may have stayed up to watch the Daytona 500 - and I did - you saw one of the weirdest racing incidents in recent memory. To recap: with 40 or so laps to go, there is a yellow flag. Cars hit the pits, and NASCAR deploys the jet dryers to blow crap off of the track. The drye ... Read More »

Daytona 110mm bottom bracket

I have a Daytona/ Centaur 10 speed gruppo on my bike. I just bought a Bottom Bracket on ebay that comes in a Daytona box with a 110mm spindle. The 10 speed ISO ST BB AC-H and AC-S are 111mm as is the Centaur BB. I checked the Campy spare part catalog and there is no mention of a "Daytona" bottom bra ... Read More »

Campy Daytona 9s shifters - cable pull?

Can anyone confirm if the Campy Daytona 9s shifters are 1st or 2nd generation 9 speed? Do they pull 3.0 or 3.2mm of cable per click? And are all Daytona 9s the same, or might there be some of the new style (3.0mm) and some of the older style (3.2mm)? thanks!Read More »

Miles for Miracles--San Diego to Daytona Beach

Hey Texas cyclists, just a heads up about the cross country ride coming your way. The second week of March, Jimmy Button, ex pro motocross racer will be coming through south TX on his way to Daytona Beach, FL. It would be great if some of you could join part of the ride and support their fund-rais ... Read More »