Campagnolo Record (10 Speed) Groupos

• Record™: heart and reason Always a synonym of absolute excellence, the Record™ groupset is the perfect balance between passion for cycling and the most advanced technology available on the market.
  • This is the first choice of those looking for the maximum performance and reliability of their equipment, whether professional or amateur. It constitutes the world benchmark in terms of lightness, as it is decisively lighter overall than any other groupset on the market.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Phil Gorski a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2010

Strengths:    Positive, precise, quick, durable

Weaknesses:    Hoods could be a little bigger

Bottom Line:
    Like several of the other reviewers, I made the mistake of locking into Shimano when I began riding almost 20 years ago. Then, as now, Shimano groups were cheaper at every level and most of the people I knew rode Shimano. Then, as now, I was on a tight budget, so it seemed like the right thing to do.

Also, like most of the other reviewers, I was never entirely satisfied with the performance of Shimano shifting either. Even with constant tinkering and adjusting it was noisy and imprecise, often skipping a cog or rattling around. This could be particularly frustrating when climbing or sprinting. There's nothing worse than having the chain jumping around during a hard, out of saddle effort.

Last summer, while in Europe, I started shopping for a new wheelset. I am a big, powerful rider, and I was tired to creaking spokes and rubbing brakepads, so I wanted something with maximal lateral siffness. I happened on a website called (rouesartisanales.com) with excellent test data on every major wheelset and found that Campy Eurus had taken first place in lateral stiffness. So I decided to make the switch to Campy and got a lightly used 2008 Record group for a good price.

I had heard people sing the praises of Campy before, but I tend not to take such talk all that seriously. If you've dropped a bunch of money on some high-zoot bike gear you want to believe that it was worth the money.

In this case though, the things people say really turn out to be true. The biggest difference is in the shifting. First, it's totally positive. You feel and hear a click for each gear you shift. You never over or under shoot the shift. If you want to shift up or down more than one cog, no problem.

Second, it's just unbelievably smooth. The difference with Shimano is especially noticeable when shifting to a smaller cog. There's no noise, no hesitation.

Third, the engineering and ergonomics make it possible -- and easy -- to shift even when the drive train is under maximum load, both front and back. There is no hesitation, no grinding, even when you are putting maximum force on the pedals.

Further, everything is totally serviceable. Using Campy's demo videos, on YouTube, I was able to relube and rebuild my levers in about an hour and a half without any great difficulty.

Last, but not least, there are the aesthetics. I don't know who is in charge of Shimano's design department, but the new Dura Ace is some of the ugliest stuff I have ever seen. I wouldn't put this crap on my bike just for aesthetic reasons. And it is technologically backward. Where Campy has put carbon and ti everywhere possible,I the Shimano stuff is still mostly made of aluminum.

Bottom line: if you can afford it, get the Campy.

Favorite Ride:   Ueberlinger See, Switzerland

Purchased At:   Ebay Germany

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace, 8, 9, 10.

Bike Setup:   Kuota Kredo, Campy Eurus wheelset.

Submitted by jhamlin38 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2009

Strengths:    Silent, positive drivetrain, stiff cranks. Superbe bearings. Fantastic breaking. perfect threads during installation. great ergonomics. Easy to adjust perfectly, and keep that way. Value is wonderful despite higher price.

Weaknesses:    new 11 speed will make this 10 speed obsolete! None!

Bottom Line:
    I've been road cycling consistnatly since 1987.
    The ergonomics and feel of the product is impressive even before you start assembling the bike. The shifting is very easy to dial in, and it runs perfectly quiet.
    the shifting performance is what I like. A heavy click/clunk makes sure the chain gets to the right cog immediately. The crankset with ultratorque bb is simply the best. WAY better than the GXP bb from truvativ/sram.
    The brake pads align perfectly, with fully rotational adjustment. The braking is perfect. Strong and confidence inspiring, that allows you to seek the limits of traction and back off before you wipe out.
    After about 300 miles, I installed I-Link cables, instead of the standard Campy cables, and it enhanced the performance even further.
    I've ridden Dura-ace, ultegra, 10-9 and 8 speed groups.
    Gone are the days of strange ticking and creaking from unknown places. It makes a silent, perfect riding experience. Well worth the extra money.
    Campagnolo record is a timeless classic, if there ever was one.

Favorite Ride:   rocky hill-sourland-princeton

Purchased At:   web

Similar Products Used:   Dura-ace 10-9-8, Chorus 10-9, Ultegra 10-9, Athena, Victory, and Nuovo Record

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tarmac Pro SL (2009), Record 10 (2008), keo sprints, Easton Ec90slx, Spec avatar saddle, Reynolds assault Conti GP4 season 23/25 tires, Token stem/plug, and Alligator I-Link cables

Submitted by majorbike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, reliability and you can repair it.

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
    I could not be happier. After 6 years and over 13k, it still performs like the day I installed it. The quality and precision of Campagnolo can’t be beat. Yes it’s expensive, but you get what you pay for. You buy the best because you expect durability and performance and Campy delivers.
    This is my third frame my Record group has been on. You always find a reason to replace something that did not live up to your expectation. Not so with my Campy Record. Secretly I wish it would wear out so I could have a reason to tell the wife why I need to replace it with the new Record 11.
    I finally made the switch from DA after spending too much of my precious riding time making adjustments. I was tired of the rubbing FD and sticking shifter. With Campy you never hear about a crank that won’t stay tightened or a FD that has issues, just rock solid performance. The only parts I have replaced were the brake hoods that were worn smooth and the brake pads. If you want to save a few $$$ go with Chorus. You only sacrifice a few grams and the carbon bling.

Favorite Ride:   E48 Hill, Bayreuth Germany

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra, Dura Ace

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R3, Campy Record group, Easton EA90 SL wheels, Michelin Krylon Tires, Thomson Masterpiece seatpost and X2 stem, Selle SMP saddle, Ultegra pedals

Submitted by nenad a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Strengths:    Shifting - spot on, always.
    Adjusting - set it and forget it.
    Rebuildability - the biggest value, for me, lies here, especially now when ergo parts (especially the ones that wear out) are widely available.

Weaknesses:    Initial cost of the group, but as the years go by you realize what you have paid for. Cost of long term usage is minimal

Bottom Line:
    After 5 years of use and 20k (km) on this group what can I say...The original cassette is still good (cog 21 is showing signs of age) and the right lever, which was involved in two major crashes, finally needs some parts replaced. Everything else is perfect, including cables and casings which are original (read 5 years old). The replacement parts for the lever will set me back $20 (oh, the humanity).

Favorite Ride:   rolling hills

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105 8 speed.

Bike Setup:   Basso Zer0.9, Campy Record including hubs laced to Mavic Open Pro rims.

Submitted by 69chevelle70 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2008

Strengths:    Precision Shifting.

Weaknesses:    Still on the pricey side but, it was worth every penny.

Bottom Line:
    WOW. I was quite happy with my Dura-Ace set-up until I rode a friends bike with Campy. It was so much smoother and quieter that I decided when my components were worn to switch. With Record prices dropping I picked up a complete set including skeleton brakes. Every thing is smoother, quieter, and, more precise.

Favorite Ride:   Wherever